PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

CI test question

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

CI test question

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

And I think they are way to thick :oh:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Stoatstail50

CI test question

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I think we both agree that most grips are way too slim.
Must show you the Greggs Sausage Roll Cast next time.

Hopefully on cut grass...that was a real PIA, I migrated on to the tarmac to teach eventually which roughed up the line a bit.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Stoatstail50

CI test question

Post by Stoatstail50 »

And I think they are way to thick :oh:
Everyone has different hands. Rod grips are usually tooled to a uniform size, this will mean its too small for some and too big for others.

Grips that are too thin encourage increased tension not only in the hand but right up through the arm... and over grip is a recognised cause of tennis elbow in many other sports like...ummm...tennis. ;)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Lasse Karlsson

CI test question

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Common tennis racket grip is thicker than common flyrod grip, yet tennis elbow is more common in uh... Tennis :p

I'll get my coat :blush:

I'm lucky, I dont care about warrenty so can sand down my grips if needed, and I tape them up anyway with squash racket grip as its sooo much better than that skin from spanish oak trees....

Cheers
Lasse

Stoatstail50

CI test question

Post by Stoatstail50 »

My right arm from little finger to shoulder is mince and, consequently, for me, the right size grip is important if I want to carry on fishing comfortably without having to visit a hospital.

Jarmo doesn't use a thumb up squishers grip but likes the sensation of squeezing to a stop, an idea promoted by many reputable instructors. Yet it is quite likely that this action, repeated again and again and coupled with wrist flexion and extension is precisely the thing that has caused his tennis elbow. Many people may get away with this without injury, some will not. Best advice would be to change, or stop doing, whatever is causing the pain, if you are not going to do that, adapt the equipment to minimise the risk of more damage. There are more than enough anthropometric studies on grip sizes and medical studies on the possible consequences of poor grip fit out there to convince even you Lasse.
Casting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

CI test question

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Oh Mark, I am convinced, just throwing in some perspective. Fat handles makes me squeeze the thing and I hate that, and know it would, down the line, cause me pain.

Cheers
Lasse

OLDGOLD

CI test question

Post by OLDGOLD »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Common tennis racket grip is thicker than common flyrod grip, yet tennis elbow is more common in uh... Tennis :p

I'll get my coat :blush:

I'm lucky, I dont care about warrenty so can sand down my grips if needed, and I tape them up anyway with squash racket grip as its sooo much better than that skin from spanish oak trees....

Cheers
Lasse
And a golf grip is thinner and that can cause golfers elbow....medial rather than lateral epicondylitis....
Potentially anything involving grip and movement at speed which tends to cause a difficult to prevent harder re grip can cause a problem.
I like a fatter grip, possibly because I have long slim fingers, but in reality, as long as I swap between different shapes I am usually ok....until I try and cast distances, which is when technique and my joints go to shit..
OLDGOLD

CI test question

Post by OLDGOLD »

Stoatstail50 wrote:My right arm from little finger to shoulder is mince and, consequently, for me, the right size grip is important if I want to carry on fishing comfortably without having to visit a hospital.

Jarmo doesn't use a thumb up squishers grip but likes the sensation of squeezing to a stop, an idea promoted by many reputable instructors. Yet it is quite likely that this action, repeated again and again and coupled with wrist flexion and extension is precisely the thing that has caused his tennis elbow. Many people may get away with this without injury, some will not. Best advice would be to change, or stop doing, whatever is causing the pain, if you are not going to do that, adapt the equipment to minimise the risk of more damage. There are more than enough anthropometric studies on grip sizes and medical studies on the possible consequences of poor grip fit out there to convince even you Lasse.
Bang on Mark!
OLDGOLD

CI test question

Post by OLDGOLD »

Stoatstail50 wrote:
I think we both agree that most grips are way too slim.
Must show you the Greggs Sausage Roll Cast next time.

Hopefully on cut grass...that was a real PIA, I migrated on to the tarmac to teach eventually which roughed up the line a bit.
The mind boggles.....
jarmo
Answers: 1

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

For anyone else having elbow issues, I found this set of exercises for “golfer’s elbow” - to my understanding these are symmetrical and should work for the tennis version as well:

https://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/libr ... exercises/

Ironically enough, ever since I started casting ridiculously much this spring, I have been using this DVD to try to prevent problems:

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Wrists-F ... 0975358103

Since I insured myself up to forearms, it was only natural for problems to appear immediately higher up. ;)

Anyway, met with my mentor MCI (Mikola) today. We had a great session where, among other things, he told me that I am allowed to have a much larger D-loop in static rolls than I thought; this solved any problems I had with this task when there is no anchor. After today’s excellent session I feel that I can afford to follow Mark’s advice: take a couple of days off, rest the arm and do some theory and planning.

Thanks again guys!

Return to “Teaching”