PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

instructors, need input PLEASE READ

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Well what’s the answer!!!
Still bloody good question :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

So Brian, whats up?

To be honest I don't know what circle of certified instructors have had this debate, fron the board of the loop, I can see several who I know charge. From the Casting Board of Govenors where I served 10 years, I know several who live of it.. Everyone I know who are a certified instructor charge for instruction, and to be honest, thats in the three figure amount of people.. so....???

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok the only thing I can think of to spark this thread is that someone has suggested that the IFF create a professional level of instructor? If this is so then I agree!

It’s an idea that’s been knocking around for a while and it would solve many problems.

Am I close?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Flybye

Post by Flybye »

Oh yes the world is crying out for yet another inscrutable casting club award :p
windknotz88

Post by windknotz88 »

Guys, I don't have a conspiracy-level deep answer. It's been a conversation among the circle of instructors. We thought it would make a good article in The Loop listening to both sides, and the exceptions to the rule of payment or non-payment (everyone has a few exceptions when they accept payment when they normally don't or vise versa). Investigating this has generated some spirited and rich responses. Just wanted to extend the query to the instructors on here. That's all. no ulterior motive; FFI is not looking to make an official rule, no conspiracy.
MCI Cleveland TN. Lee University Anglers.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Which circle of instructors Brian?

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

At my busiest - when I was spending summers in the UK (so we are going back some time now!) - I would do at best 20hrs/week casting instruction plus a number of weekend clinics. I’ve always seen it as a profession - even if it’s part-time.

Fishing guides are considerably busier than casting instructors. To my mind there is something seriously wrong with casting instructor organisations because many guides are not instructors - and the same guides say that they wish their clients could cast better. It’s a no-brainer that they should be encouraged to become qualified casting instructors. It would be interesting to survey them and find out why they taking these exams.

For me the two things go hand in hand.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve been thinking about this, and instead of casting instructors encouraging students to take their casting exams to improve their casting, a better shift would be to try to examine fishing AND casting instructors. I know of quite a few CIs with less than two years fishing experience. In that time they have been busy working on their casting in order to pass the test consequently as anglers they have very little fishing experience. Surely an exam which encompasses both fishing as well as casting instruction, which also appeals to fishing guides, would be a more practical exam?

Or would it just lead to more arguments? :cool:

Cheers, Paul.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

More arguments: who decides which species or style of fishing is the one questions are asked about? There are plenty of places around the world where trout are not readily available (e.g. where I live and in Malaysia, where you are). How do they test for local knowledge?

Maybe something like Section 3 of the current MCI would be useful in the CCI test too? Maybe it should be up to the candidate to select a species they know about?

But I agree to some extent. An instructor should be able to teach fishing techniques for all the fish targeted on fly in their local area (say a 3 hour travel time radius).

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote:
But I agree to some extent. An instructor should be able to teach fishing techniques for all the fish targeted on fly in their local area (say a 3 hour travel time radius).

Cheers,
Graeme
3 hour travel radius? By feet, car or plane?

And how would you examine that, and how would you get to be an examiner for that...

Just for kicks, I live in a small country and by plane for 3 hours I'm looking at almost everything from arctic char to bluefin tuna...

Oh, and who gets to decide which species are targeted on fly or not...

@Brian, still waiting to know what circle of instructors...

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Teaching”