PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

10+ group teaching

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

borkursmari
Answers: 0

10+ group teaching

Post by borkursmari »

Hi all!

I've received a request to teach a group of 10 or more people, of varying skill levels, for 2 hours. I'm curious to know how you instructors out there would organize a lesson like this. I would start with a 10 min introduction to the tackle and tackle setup, 15 min of basic short line casts, oval shapes, left/right horizontal casts, getting the loops to form and understanding body-rod-line cause-effect relationship (in a simplified manner). Then comes the question, depending on the skill set, I'm wondering if the whole group should be kept together or if one should split the group in half? Or pair the participants? How much 1on1 time would you/can you give in a lesson like this?

My goal would at least to have all participants carrying 10m of line and getting consistent, nice line presentations in the back and forward cast (casting left/right at a ~50° angle from horizontal) and having introduced shooting line as well, with some being able to perform it, and some (based on experience) needing a bit more time.

Any input is much appreciated!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

10+ group teaching

Post by Paul Arden »

Wow that’s a complicated task, Borkur. Particularly given the time constraint. Generally speaking with a large group I would be looking for a day and not two hours. Also I try very much to have people of similar skills level. With different skill level, and even just such a large group, I would be looking for an assistant instructor too.

Do you know if any are complete beginners?

Very complicated because with some you might just be teaching very basic skills such as loop formation and PUALD. With others maybe Double Hauling or even some advanced skills.

If I had to pull something out of my hat with this, I would do basic loop skills - Lee’s triangle. If you have complete beginners you have a problem because you’re going to have to teach shooting line. I would have everyone throw at targets to sort out their backcast tracking and trajectory and loop size. I would teach cross shoulder.

Then I’d teach Roll Cast both shoulders. And hopefully Double Haul. That would be in a perfect world. But your problem is to see everyone perform just one task will take a minimum of 20 minutes. Let’s say your demo is 20 minutes. 20 minutes practise. That allows for three skill sets only.

On the other hand maybe you are better on concentrating on just one thing. This could be Accuracy. Best in my opinion would be a longer class or split them up and do two smaller classes. Probably the first question I would be asking the organiser is what does he want/expect?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

10+ group teaching

Post by Paul Arden »

Welcome to the Board by the way! :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
borkursmari

10+ group teaching

Post by borkursmari »

Thanks for the feedback Paul and for the warm welcome! It's true this type of session could be conducted in multiple ways, but like you said, the first step is to really see what this group wants from the session. Is it just a get-together with twist of flycasting or do they really want to learn something? If they want to learn, then splitting the group in half, getting an assistant instructor or lengthening the session seems like the most reasonable way to go.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

10+ group teaching

Post by Paul Arden »

The advantage of course is that’s you will hoepfully pick a few 1-1 lessons! Maybe just accuracy, efficiency and loop could control drills. I’d love to know how it goes.

Which country are you in?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
borkursmari

10+ group teaching

Post by borkursmari »

Exactly, I'm in Iceland, and the lesson won't be until May :) but I'll post the results here ;)
Jonas Magnusson

10+ group teaching

Post by Jonas Magnusson »

With that name.... only on Iceland
PM sent

Jonas
Jonas
------------------
www.everyjonahhasawhale.com
Bernd Ziesche

10+ group teaching

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Bokursmari,
2hours is pretty short when aiming to give a well structured fly casting lesson delivering all key essentials of fly casting. Having said so, it gets even harder, if double hauling should be part of the lesson. Let's assume some already do double haul and others don't. I take it, it's about sh casting? I would run a very quick intro showing the most important essentials for the rod hand + give them the open stance. 10 to 15 minutes. The next 45 minutes I would guide them thru one exercise for every essential (5 min each). In the second hour I would teach individual helping everyone to improve. I would allow the group to watch me doing this with everyone (improving just the one maybe two biggest issues per student). That way everyone learn from everyones improvements. Of course it needs a good "feeling" of you what it means to students to be helped in front of a group. Make sure to keep this comfortable for everyone. If someone may seem to feel uncomfortable here, just help him while the others are in an exercise theirselves. No doubt it takes significant experience in teaching to make a 2 hours class succeed for 10 people. No shame to deny or take co instruction if you lack experience! I wish you a great lesson! Regards Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Teaching”