PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Instructor days

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: Instructor days

Post by Boisker »

Cool I’ll keep an eye out for the date Paul... and see what other commitments are... fingers crossed
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll look to get it finalised over the next two weeks. It will be good to have another SL Meet. It’s been a while and I’m sure there is lots more to share since the last one. I really like the idea of Bosnia as well. The accommodation is superb and the fishing is some of Europe’s best.

For a while I had planned to run courses utilising my place in Hungary with Bosnia. But then I moved to the jungle and that all changed :D However as a European location it’s hard to beat for FFing.

I’ll get active in the other thread later next week.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
RexW

Post by RexW »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:30 am
So the way I would look at furthering instructor education would be to do something like they did in Arkansas (and maybe still do?) where they have 20 CCIs/MCIs and 4 paid instructors - I was there once with Bruce Richards, Chuck Easterling and Al Kyte. I know Lasse has been over. And do something like that. The money is good and you will attract the best instructors.

Unfortunately, Chuck has stopped hosting those sessions. I attended several of them and they were excellent. I learned a lot from them.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve often thought it would be great to get a few guys from the US - say Bruce Richards, Steve Rajeff, Bill Gammel for example - Rick Hartman and Simon Gawesworth jump to mind, as do others - and give four or five instructor clinics around Europe. It would be a huge amount of work to set up but I think it would be a great success. I’m sure through Sexyloops we could organise clinics in UK, Sweden, Spain and maybe even Hungary and the Netherlands? It would have to be well paid for the instructors because there is a lot of time and flying involved, accommodation and so on. The other option would be to centralise it but it’s cheaper to fly four people one way four times than 20 people each way three times! And I think you would really want to draw in 80 attendees total to make the whole thing worthwhile.

I have actually talked to some, maybe even all, of these guys about such a project in the past.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

That’s a great idea Paul... and with the length of time it would take to arrange I may even be an instructor by then :D :D :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Indeed!! :D :D

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Good points Paul and Lasse. During the competition training of any casting program, I agree, cast in 4 directions for both accuracy and distance. Overlaying fly casting with throwing will reduce the reliance on the arm as the driver of speed and power. You're right Lasse, we throw the line up to loop formation. Post the loop formation, the momentum established by each of the preceding throwing segments and can be logically expressed as signifying the end of the throwing action. I view the body movement, after loop formation, as still part of the throwing action. That is when all segments of the movement chain have decelerated or are decelerating, and in my teaching, it highlights the propensity to be too vertical in the stroke.

Wish I was a tad closer to you blokes, love to share some ideas.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting thoughts on too vertical John. I personally think we must sacrifice some throwing agility for the loop to be vertically aligned and that loop integrity must come first. A strong tail wind can help solve issues that a tilted loop can present but mostly I would prefer to see a completely vertical loop. I find it almost impossible to make however but I do strive for it!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Sorry Paul, did not explain myself well, I was referring to the body being too vertical. True about the integrity of the loop. I too strive for a vertical loop for distance. I used to want to achieve vertical loops for accuracy and moved my forearm backwards and forwards, vertically, in the plane of the shoulder. I now move the elbow from slightly inside the shoulder on the short target, to slightly outside the shoulder on the long target. On all targets, I now use a slightly angled forearm. I still have the loop extend over the target so I now use a slightly angled loop orientation.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting. Thanks John I’ll try that with regards accuracy. I tend to be much more “darts player” aligned which is great for straightness but probably less good for triangulation!

I’m with you now on the distance. I’m very much into teaching low with bent knees - like snowboarding - good balance and weight shift between the two, arching the back slightly to allow the rod hand to travel straighter. Body twist but not excessive - this is really I think the biggest difference between throwing and casting - too much body rotation throws the rod tip out of plane and for throwing we would really like to make more use of the body twist/untwisting. That’s where the closed stance with a step helped keep everything straighter but you lose almost all twist that way.

Hope all is well down there mate!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”