PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Using Video while teaching

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Using Video while teaching

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi chaps,

I have in mind a more standardised use of video for when teaching aboard the battleship. I’m not quite sure how I’m going to do it yet - quite possibly from the roof of the boat - but if I can set up a fixed camera angle and distance to the caster, it should be possible to very quickly compare his/her casting to a video library of casts already taken and using the Hudl App to get a quick and easy contrast going.

I reckon an IPad would be best for this with its larger screen. Normally I use the phone but it has its limitations.

Does anyone have such a set up going at the moment?

It would be great to put it all on a thumb drive, with photos and videos of the trip!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Will
Answers: 0

Re: Using Video while teaching

Post by Will »

Good plan!

I don't have a fixed filming point but I do have a tripod with and iPad adaptor. I film the learner and then stand exactly where they cast from, and make the cast. Good for comparisons and overlays.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Paul,

Are you planning on having an 'overhead shot' so you can see peoples tracking, or would you rather a more side on approach to video their hand/arm movements? You could always put some tape on the floor of the boat so the person is the same distance from the camera, you won't have to move focus that much then, depending on aperture settings. :)

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Filming tracking from the boat is going to be difficult. It’s not impossible, I would just have to paddle over to where the guy is casting and film from there.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Buy a drone that allows you to set a distance and orientation to film you/your client from and make it occupy that location (relative to caster) while you film. Tracking is easy to observe from directly above.

I haven't done it, but it should be possible.
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I have a drone but it doesn’t film directly downwards but at an angle. I’m hoping to use it some more when I have a larger landing pad :D For some reason I can’t control it with an iPhone X but I can with an old iPhone 6 (it’s not the most modern drone!). Battery life on the drone and the iPhone 6 are now remarkably similar :D

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul,

I use and recommend an iPad and Hudl Technique and have a library of casting faults and corrections for onsite, side by side comparison. Works very well.

John
Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

John Waters wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:25 am Hi Paul,

I use and recommend an iPad and Hudl Technique and have a library of casting faults and corrections for onsite, side by side comparison. Works very well.

John
I agree John, the Hudl Technique app is awesome. Multiple slow motion speeds too!
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
I have been using filming a lot in my teaching since years now. For me it was very helpful to base my teaching around the caster's movements in the first place. Filming too here is much easier to be done (so much less speed and distances for visualising the movements). The smartphone already covers it properly.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The problem is for me it can be time consuming and so I personally use it to get through a hurdle where I think filming will save time. Even more so, time becomes critical with a big group. I’ve never tried teaching a large group based principally around video analysis. I think it would be interesting and with practise and experience could be very successful. Maybe more so that what I currently do which is demos and lots of individual teaching giving 1-2 pointers per person, putting them in groups and so on. Indoors with a pool and video projector - and a cameraman who is fast and can keep everything flowing - that has a lot of potential mileage.

The iPad has to be better than the iphone. I had a 6 in a big size screen that was certainly better than the smaller screen X that I currently have. But I’m always impressed with how a) interested students are to watch and compare themselves and b) how quick the improvements are. I’m sure I can be doing it better. It’s always a problem looking at a small screen in bright sunlight however.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”