PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Loop shape is domed and tails

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Carol
Answers: 0

Re: Loop shape is domed and tails

Post by Carol »

I'm finding the description of power application to be ineffible. Mel alluded to that when he said "let me try [describing it] one more way ... start strong ... start heavy." I think it's one of those things that you can only experience. Your muscles have to the feel the rod and line while making the winning stroke, and they have to feel it over and over. So, is power application something that "you'll know when it's right" vis a vis the resulting loop? And it make take some students a long time to "get?" :???: This is probably where having the student video his/her practice makes sense. They can then send it to the instructor to review. Because the longer they go between lessons, the more ingrained certain movements become.

Has anyone ever tried using Zoom with a student's casting?
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Carol

Post by Carol »

A friend is a retired physician. He said that if anything is an impeachable offense, this is it. It is criminal because people are dying. Trump was so concerned about his legacy regarding the economy that he first downplayed the seriousness of the virus to keep the economy going: "It's like the flu." That was irresponsible at best. Second, he has delayed shutting down everything, which allowed too many things to continue status quo and the virus to spread. So by delaying shutting down everything and calling for a nationwide stay-at-home, he prolonged the economic disaster. The doofus created a cluster F*K.
Carol
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Whale of a drawing ... ;)
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Carol wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:11 pm I'm finding the description of power application to be ineffible. Mel alluded to that when he said "let me try [describing it] one more way ... start strong ... start heavy." I think it's one of those things that you can only experience. Your muscles have to the feel the rod and line while making the winning stroke, and they have to feel it over and over. So, is power application something that "you'll know when it's right" vis a vis the resulting loop? And it make take some students a long time to "get?" :???:
Hi Carol
I understand (hopefully) what you are saying. In the end fly casting is performed by a person's body. It is movement. Movement is learned and controlled by our sensory motor system. Ideally the learning progresses from conscious control to unconscious execution. I/we remember what it feels like to get it.... just right. Repeating the movements of the just right stroke is how we entrench the neural patterns and move them toward a reflex movement instead of a conscious movement. Sensory motor learning.

Also, a movement sequence, the right things moved in the right order, is nothing without flow. Ineffable? Yes, nicely put, but without getting too weird/mushy/spiritual, when it is just right and feels just right the experience shifts from the ineffable toward the numinous.

Is it just a co-incidence that two of the most graceful casters, Wulff and Rownes, were both professional dancers?

What helps and what doesn't help is a subject of some contention. The just right feeling is probably beyond most if not all beginners. Otherwise we could all pick up a guitar and play like Segovia. I suspect, however, that the cast which unexpectedly goes ten feet further than "normal" is available to many intermediate casters and most advanced casters.

My blog post on "The Special Delivery Cast" is now published. More there.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Carol wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:52 pm A friend is a retired physician. He said that if anything is an impeachable offense, this is it. It is criminal because people are dying. Trump was so concerned about his legacy regarding the economy that he first downplayed the seriousness of the virus to keep the economy going: "It's like the flu." That was irresponsible at best. Second, he has delayed shutting down everything, which allowed too many things to continue status quo and the virus to spread. So by delaying shutting down everything and calling for a nationwide stay-at-home, he prolonged the economic disaster. The doofus created a cluster F*K.
Yeah. Sigh. Right wing populists have a way of failing the substance test posed by a genuine crisis. I include the UK and my own PM in the reference. When you combine that with OTT narcissism, mucho brown stuff is likely to go into the oversized fan.

Here's a more upbeat thought. Just 80 miles off the coast of where the "China virus" came from lies Taiwan.There is a lot of travel between the two countries. When I looked yesterday (John Hopkins Uni) Taiwan had 329 confirmed cases and 5 deaths from the virus. Taiwan was all tooled up and ready to go after the SARS outbreak. Population? c.24 million. Population of Oz is c.25 million. That's about 1:1. Our figures? 5133 cases and 24 deaths.

Not sure yet whether the Taiwan/Doofus Ratio is best taken from cases or deaths. No wait, let's make that the Doofus/Taiwan Ratio - the DTR.

For Oz the DTR is 15.6 for cases and 4.8 for deaths. Hit the calculator folks. Your nation's performance awaits your assessment.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Carol wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:52 pm Trump was so concerned about his legacy regarding the economy that he first downplayed the seriousness of the virus to keep the economy going: "It's like the flu."
An incorrect application of power.
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Geenomad wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:45 am

Here's a more upbeat thought. Just 80 miles off the coast of where the "China virus" came from lies Taiwan.There is a lot of travel between the two countries. When I looked yesterday (John Hopkins Uni) Taiwan had 329 confirmed cases and 5 deaths from the virus. Taiwan was all tooled up and ready to go after the SARS outbreak. Population? c.24 million. Population of Oz is c.25 million. That's about 1:1. Our figures? 5133 cases and 24 deaths.

Not sure yet whether the Taiwan/Doofus Ratio is best taken from cases or deaths. No wait, let's make that the Doofus/Taiwan Ratio - the DTR.

For Oz the DTR is 15.6 for cases and 4.8 for deaths. Hit the calculator folks. Your nation's performance awaits your assessment.

Cheers
Mark
Hi Mark

Interesting and quite scary, DK has a population of 5,8 million, a case number of 3672 and 139 deaths, but with the cavat that the deaths aren't nessecarely from covid19, just that the person had covid19 when they died...
I'm afraid to run the numbers because the DTR looks huge , like the best of numbers, like tremendous :upside:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Carol

Post by Carol »

Graeme H wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:43 pm An incorrect application of power.
Awesome! Well put.
Carol
Carol

Post by Carol »

Geenomad wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:17 am without getting too weird/mushy/spiritual, when it is just right and feels just right the experience shifts from the ineffable toward the numinous.
"Numinous" made me laugh. Touche with words. Thank you! :D
Carol
Carol

Post by Carol »

The population of Colorado alone is 5.7 million. As of 4/1, there were 3728 cases and 80 deaths. As you know, New York state is off the charts. Colorado's governor is pretty good. He gave orders first to social distance and work from home if possible, then to shut non-essential businesses and to stay at home. Although it was a progression, Colorado was one of the first states to implement it, and it was done much faster than Pres. Doofus, who dismantled the pandemic preparedness team when he took into office in 2017. Now he's "lookin' like a fool with his pants on the ground."
Carol

Return to “Teaching”