PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Grips?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: Grips?

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Carol wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 pm I've played with the V-grip and the finger-on-top grip for accuracy (per Mac Brown and Gary Borger), but my index finger gets too stressed. Maybe I'm not doing it right.
Hi Carol,

I have recently watched both of them give demos, and I don't believe they are suggesting the finger be on top, but rather extended along the side of the cork.

I believe Jason's book goes into detail on the grip... "three point grip"...?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

This is from quite some time ago...
A6093D16-539F-4831-AB6B-BED741021A39.jpeg
I use the bottom right grip for most of my fishing, but orientated as in the bottom left image. Maybe this is because I have big hands?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Carol,

Gary and Jason Borger both use the three-point grip. Its a great grip. I use it for most of my fishing and have done so for over 10 years. However, its not a grip that feels natural when you first try it. It feels awkward. You really have to learn it. But since i learned the grip I haven´t looked back. :) You can find a detailed description on how to learn the grip on Gary Borgers website.
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Hi there.

I have used different variations of the three-point grip:

http://www.garyborger.com/2013/01/31/th ... ariations/

If I get a grown-up student now who starts from scratch, I suggest that they at least try this grip.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Hi, Nicholas.

In watching my tracking last night very closely, trying to ensure my thumb is always pointing directly back, I saw some very minor deviations that show up at the end of the loop unrolling on casts >40 feet/12.2 meters (could also be the nagging wind here). It affects accuracy for sure. I'll try the V-Grip today and see if it makes a diff.

As for hard I grip the rod, probably too hard. On short casts, I can cast with basically the thumb, forefinger and ring finger or pinky for stabilization. On longer casts, not so much and definitely can feel fatigue in my rod hand when working longer distances, so I know some death grip has been going on. Then I focus on stop (grip), drift (relax), stop (grip), etc. So you're very right in asking how tight I'm gripping.

I've seen the upside-down rod trick. I'll give it a whirl since it's such a simple technique to use and you don't need to carry a gadget.

Sorry to hear an auto accident messed up your rod hand. That must have been worrisome as you were recovering. :( I'm glad that a simple alteration to your grip made a difference. :)

Paul, thanks for the name of the artist!
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Carol,

Yes absolutely. Wind does make accuracy tricky! The wind today in the UK was horrendous, made a back cast and it went sideways 😂

Are you using a closed or open stance with the thumb on top grip, and are you looking at your back cast? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the latter btw as long as you don't alter your tracking, best to look after you've made the stop (from the neck) rather than spinning round or twisting to look at it, I'm sure you do the former though 😊

How do you mean minor deviations by the way? Hard to say without seeing 😀 With that being said, it does sound like a tracking error to me. Please don't worry though, you'll get there! You could try this;

1. Stand in the mirror with the rod butt, try different stances and grips, and find one that automatically gives you good tracking
2. Lay out a tape, stand in the middle and cast along it with the tip over the tape to check
3. Stand right foot forward in the mirror, pick a grip that's nearly bang on and work on a repeated stroke for 15-20 mins a day, you have to force your muscles to groove this new tracking path, so you need many reps (this is what I did years ago btw)
4. Pauls one and it's a great one, cast to targets in front of you

Nice work, carol! Death grip can contribute to faulty tracking, tip can end up looking like a micro wiggle cast through the stroke that I've seen. You can hurt yourself too. I'd be very interested to hear if the V grip works for you.

Good thing about the upside down rod is the fact it's always with you 😄 Great thing to remember if you have a student with an uncontrollable wrist, you'll come across them quite a lot. Your gadget does sound great though, I'll have to try and make one 😄 Although if I have a student that bends their wrist far too much I use the triangle method first, then if that doesn't work it's the finger on top grip, then if that doesn't work it's Joan's circles 8's and straights.

Thank you for your concern 😄 It was actually my ribs/muscles/core that were damaged so I can't twist or do anything like that anymore, so body rotation is quite out the question.

Hope one of the grips helps you out!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Funny - for accuracy and a stiff rod I get hand cramps. I never get this from distance casting. The grip for distance should certainly be relaxed!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”