PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

FFI CBOG

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

FFI CBOG

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s nice to see a few changes here https://flyfishersinternational.org/Cas ... rs-Retired

There are some chaps on there that I have huge respect for :pirate:

One of the reasons I dropped out many years ago was because I got a very annoying letter from the chair of the time, who rejected my proposal for lowering the fees for Eastern European Instructors. I had trained well over 30 instructors in the region (some of the event fees even came directly out of my own pocket) and a few years later I found out that only a handful had renewed their memberships because they simply couldn’t afford it.

When I suggested lowering the price I was told that I had to think of the Koreans who paid their membership fees with pride :D :D Korea FFS!! Now I know he wasn’t talking about North Korea and Kim Jong Un and as far as I was concerned any chair of a programme that considers itself to be International should know that South Korea is a developed and expensive country. By rank it has the 12th highest GDP in the world. I realise that doesn’t necessarily mean that it is evenly shared but you certainly can’t compare Korea to Hungary, Serbia or Ukraine!!!

In fact the letter was so “interesting” that I printed it out, framed it and hung it on my wall :D

Anyway it looks like they have a far better team together nowadays. Hopefully they’ll understand that when the average income is less than 300USD/month (an “excellent” income was about 400 euros/month in Hungary at the time - my g/f was a Hungarian doctor and that was her salary! In the other two mentioned a typical income was around 200-250Euros/month) that sending 100USD+ to be a member of an Instructors’ Association is unaffordable for many!

They should track all these instructors down and offer them membership for 10 or 20 Euros/year, the first year being free. What a shame to have all those guys train to be instructors and then to lose them. “Have to think of the Koreans paying their fees with pride” - I still can’t get over that. :D :D :D

Anyway my wife is training to be a CCI. I think she’ll make a great instructor and she can give lessons while I go fishing :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carol
Answers: 0

Re: FFI CBOG

Post by Carol »

Just read this. Yeah, a lot of terms expire this year. Hopefully Molly stays on.

Meeting people where they are is important, physically, financially, skill-wise .... We just were talking about that on our CCI candidates Zoom meeting last night. Hopefully the incoming BoGs will be more sensible and meet people where they are with respect to their ability to pay fees. Maybe by using a sliding scale, bearing in mind exchange rates, cost of living, average incomes, etc. Might need to get a CPA on the board with international experience. ;)

Ever think about rejoining the CBOG?
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Nope but I was never on CBOG. I was a member of FFF for about 15 years and very active internationally. I did actually make an enquiry about rejoining some years back but that didn’t amount to anything. To be honest I’ve had so many problems with committees in my life I think it’s just best avoided :D

I think it’s because of Sexyloops that other committee members often subconsciously attach more weight to anything I say and if they disagree with it then they feel the need to fight against it more strongly. For example if I was to suggest that we should have virtual biscuits during an online meeting and they prefer virtual cake, it would cause an enormous imaginary cake vs biscuits battle. Or maybe I’m just an arsehole :cool:

In any case it doesn’t seem to work! And since I’m not a member of any instructors’ association the headache has gone.

But you’d make a great committee member Carol :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:53 amFor example if I was to suggest that we should have virtual biscuits during an online meeting and they prefer virtual cake, it would cause an enormous imaginary cake vs biscuits battle. Or maybe I’m just an arsehole :cool:
Biscuits or cakes, you might still be an arsehole either way ... These things are not mutually exclusive.

:D

FFi might actually come out of this COVID stuff better than they went in. There seems to be a lot more online interaction in the last month or so, which means people from all around the world are now being catered for more effectively.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I'll take biscuits over cake any day :-).

L
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I'll go against biscuits and cake, I want chocolate!

Bit late to the changes there Paul ;-)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

What they didn’t happen last week? :???:

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:07 am What they didn’t happen last week? :???:
Nope...

When did I rotate out of the board?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know. Have you forgotten?

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”