PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

First Lesson

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: First Lesson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:28 pm "Fly you fool!" Karlsson 2020 😂😂😂😂

Also, i think that orange backing is slowing your rod hand down, Lasse. Have you tried white? 😂 ;)

Great advice by both, that's great stuff indeed.

All the best!
Changed to white backing, cast shorter :glare:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

😂😂
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

In the first lesson I teach to be familiar with the rod and the line, the student must understand that things are not as fragile as they seem and any cheating they produce is resolved with a little calm and patience, then I explain how to assemble the tools and what do they need, then finally I let those who are still awake do the first vaulting 😁
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Vaulting I normally save for the second lesson.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
askel

Post by askel »

Jesus, Paul! You should close access to this section of the board for civilians! The world is not gonna be the same after reading this thread :D
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
- how to avoid and how to eliminate slack line (roll pick up and lay down included)
- waiting for the line to unroll
- smooth acceleration, adjusting line speed and how to avoid tailings
- positioning of rotation within the stroke
- matching the size of arc to the desired speed (lengthening line included) and trajectory
- keeping the rod in plane and the rod hand along a straight path
All that to match line speed, loop shape and trajectory.
Double haul.
Explaining details of haul adjustment after getting the haul to work by an easy starting exercise.
Some shots to distance, including retrieving, setting the hook and playing the fish.
All that on grass.
Some rolls and pick ups on water.
Then I hand out a paper to remember the content.
That' s a daily lesson 5 to 7 hours (including breaks). In a one to one it can be 4 to 5 hours depending on the student.
In case I have less time and fishing is on the schedule as well, I shorten to 2 to 3 hours and teach what is needed to make a proper short to medium line presentation usually then without hauling.
What I dont like, is sending a student home without the essentials.
I want to see some progress when meeting again. That I didn't see much without essential based exercises to work with.
By the way I tell my students never to train more than 1 hour, to always have one target at a time and to train within a line length allowing for proper technique (not starting to compensate by high force application).
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bernd,

You have my first two lessons in there! Although if I’ve got a second lesson I’ll include into the wind and the dynamic roll which leads in into delayed rotation. Generally I try to break it all up, but it really depends on logistics. If someone is travelling for 4 or 5 hrs to get here then giving a 1 or 2 hr lesson doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I feel very lucky I have to say, nowadays with accommodation and fishing I can do a completely different format. Even raw beginners I can sometimes teach for 4 or 5 days which really opens up a lot of possibilities.

I would love to be doing 1hr lessons every couple of weeks but I don’t have that market here, in fact I haven’t had that market for about 20 years :D

What I would normally do is whatever I wrote for lesson one and then reinforcing it, progressing it and theory in lesson 2. Obviously that and even the first lesson can be tailored according to fishing location. It’s very rare for example that I’ll talk about variable casting arc in lesson 1, but that’s assuming a 1-2hr lesson.

Interesting stuff mate.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”