PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Wanting to know where I can improve my cast- video

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Phil31
Answers: 0

Wanting to know where I can improve my cast- video

Post by Phil31 »

Here is a link to me casting in the park from a number of angles

I feel the side angle is ok but the front angle doesn’t seem right. Looking to aim for casting qualified sometime so really want perfect form. This is the first time I’ve videos my own cast.

Is a 10ft 7 weight.
Phil Connor

Based in Turangi NZ

On The Fly NZ
https://ontheflynz.com/
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Wanting to know where I can improve my cast- video

Post by Paul Arden »

Not bad at all Phil.

The first thing I would say is to work on your pickup cast. Your pickup is straight into a fully open backcast. And so I’m quite sure that your first loop is going to be open – and then you are always going to be looking for control. So get that first cast under tight control. Second backcast you have a choice whether to open up or not. Good training will be compact stroke gradually lengthening line, working out when to open up. Another thing you can try is just practising pickups.

I think that might make the biggest improvement in your cast by the way.

The second thing to look at is the weight shift. Your shift starts around the mid region. Try bending your knees and making the weight shift starting from the feet and be conscious about how that energy travels through the body. Just try rocking front foot, back foot, front foot, back foot without casting. I think a good tip is to “sink the back leg”.

The third piece of advice is to work on when to hit. There is a moment in the cast when it’s the right time to accelerate. When I watch you it’s a little bit of a blur. So for the next thing try coming through very slowly (you can even drag the line along the ground) and work out the exact moment to spike the power. And then repeat this working with the haul. See how slow you can go and how long you can delay before hitting it.

I think that thing is going to fly!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Phil31
Answers: 0

Post by Phil31 »

Thanks Paul. Value the advice, will be back in the park tomorrow afternoon. A few more practice sessions to slowly get those three things down and will re-post to see any noticeable improvement.

And I do often find my first backcast is my most open loop. Good to have the reason pointed out.
Phil Connor

Based in Turangi NZ

On The Fly NZ
https://ontheflynz.com/
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You’re welcome Phil! Hey if you can shoot your next video a little closer that would help me. I mostly look at these things on my phone and it’s difficult to see exactly what your hands are doing! You’ll probably need to find something to mount the camera on. I bought one of these recently. It wasn’t expensive (mind you we get a lot of cheap stuff in Malaysia from China).
21C45642-180D-43BF-92EF-C5E228AB1F44.jpeg
Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”