PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fast Results

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Fast Results

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:36 pm Yeah but I’m sure it’s not a kilo! :D
Depends how much lead one puts on the arbour to make it a large arbour, and reduce line memory :D

Found the 4 6 and 8, games on ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:36 pm Yeah but I’m sure it’s not a kilo! :D
No :D Only a quarter :laugh:

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Let me know what you find when you try it. I assume you all have a set of dumbbells!! Takes two seconds to do and IMO very much worth the effort.
Found the 4 6 and 8, games on
So I have to do this, PAUALD challenge, bucket on head left hand. I’ll film today and post Monday page. I’ll have to see if I can remember how to cast on the left again :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:25 pm The idea came from here. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3389

I’ve tried it on four students. I don’t have much possibilities at the moment. But the results have all been excellent. If you try it I’m sure you’ll immediately understand why!

Cheers, Paul
:O :O :O That was not what I was expecting! ;)

Is it the mass that's causing the wrist restriction or is it the physical dimension of the weight that's doing it? Sorry, but I'm not going to be doing this soon (luckily for me my rods' grips won't accept such a tool).

Actually, I don't like using a prop to restrict movements my students make (e.g. tucking the rod butt into the sleeve) because it's too easy for them to revert back to bad habits once the prop is gone.

I'm having great success with students at all levels with a few simple task-based lessons:
  • Side cast along a tape with narrow loops to the left and the right (Lee's Triangle method - Teaches SLP, casting arc vs loop size, the pause, and the 180˚ Rule)
  • I ask the student to watch my blank about 2/3 of the way up and I produce a small but progressive bend in the rod as I cast about 45'. I ask my students to do the same on their cast. I show them that if they can't visually follow my rod while I cast, I've jerked the rod. If I haven't bent it, I haven't put enough power into the cast. If they cannot follow their own blanks with their eyes, they are doing it wrongly (Teaches correct application of power and instantly removes tails from their cast.)
  • Try to cast with so little effort that the loop just fails to reach the nail knot. The tip must be held high during this drill. (Teaches efficient and correct power application, maintenance of line tension in the rod leg [removal of slack] and the importance of the 180˚ Rule)
  • Lee's Triangle Method with the "1, 2, 3, 4" double haul "module" added. (Teaches double hauling and how line speed can be used.)
With these four exercises and a bit of theory, I can get most beginners casting quite acceptable loops in about 40 minutes and doing a rudimentary double haul within an hour (some students are even quicker). I've also introduced the underlying concepts of the Five Essentials, the 180˚ Rule and how line tension affects wave propagation without ever actually mentioning those things (they were contained within the tasks.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The reason I like it and I think it’s well worth doing is because the very first casts are almost always perfect. Normally students’ first casts are wide and so on. But here they immediately throw fantastic loops from the get-go. Take the weight off and the student doesn’t suddenly make some big wide arc but fully understands what is required and most importantly if he does make a wide arc he knows what to change without being instructed.

I would much rather give students interesting tasks to preform (underline/overline/cast with a couple of dumbbell weights :p ) than repeating the same thing over and over trying to make it perfect!

Of course slipping a mass over the grip takes all of about two seconds but I doubt they’ll fit over a Maniform! So you’ll have to come up with another device. Just don’t drop the rod on your toes!!!

When I train swimming I use a pull buoy, kick board and hand paddles. Using tools to assist the stroke I think is a great idea... at least when they work!

I was very surprised a few months ago when I first tried this tool. But I immediately knew that I had to try it on students.

Incidentally I don’t think it’s simply the mass restricting wrist movement. But I’ll need some physicists to tell me what is happening :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

So...

the mass is in front of the hand?

If not, then I have some heirloom tarpon reels that, when loaded with backing and line, probably weigh around 1/2 kg.

If the theory is that weight helps beginners learn to cast, I have to say I have not found that to be the case.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

No the mass is immediately below the hand. I don’t find it helps longer casts at all, indeed it’s a hindrance. What it’s good for is short line, narrow arc. If 1KG isn’t working then add a kilo! Fist time I tried it I went as high as 5.5KG. But 1KG I find best (and sufficient). The rod is a 6WT.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”