PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

So... what is number 6?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: So... what is number 6?

Post by John Waters »

Hopefully these vaccines are effective and available worldwide as soon as possible. Melbourne will complete a 5 day lockdown at midnight tonight. I remember watching the news in December 2019 and there was a 5 second report about an unknown virus, little did we know then, about the ramifications.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m going to start a topic on that elbow out style :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I phoned a buddy who originally told me about the Zoom and asked about the two tournament styles (sorry... techniques!), and was informed that they were not discussed. The program was limited to fishing casts. So I didn't sleep through it!

So, for my own curiosity, what might be two general tournament techniques? Elbow forward and 170???
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Difficult to say. The three styles/techniques I use in competition are closed accuracy, open distance and 170. But those are the three I fish with as well!

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Like Paul, but the accuracy technique wouldn't be one called tournament and then not talked about because someone thinks fishing is 30 foot casts max and the world is tiny... So tournament would probably be distance, and in that open distance and 170. so long strokes and body weight shifts in focus.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Some anglers and even instructors have a strange idea of what competition casting is. It’s just good casting without the inefficiencies. Get rid of all the stuff that doesn’t make it go straight and then work out how to put more force in while still keeping it straight. My reason for doing it is to catch more fish.

What it does do is that gives you an interesting perspective on what works and what is more efficient. And it also makes you very aware of your body. It’s your body that drives the rod that drives the line. But I wouldn’t get hung up on thinking there are different techniques for casting sport instead of fishing. For me it’s all the same and it’s made me a far better fishermen. Particularly for taking shots, line management, dealing with the wind and so on. Competition casting is being able to do the basics really well.

As much as I like the other guys if it wasn’t about fishing then I wouldn’t be doing it :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Competition casting is about doing basics really well...

Best quote in a while, measuring leaders is apperantly not a basic skill, neither is remembering the right line 🤣

Jokes aside, comp casting has elevated my fishing casting.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:05 am Competition casting is about doing basics really well...

Best quote in a while, measuring leaders is apperantly not a basic skill, neither is remembering the right line 🤣

Jokes aside, comp casting has elevated my fishing casting.

Cheers
Lasse
:D :D :D One MCI in Oz told one of my clients that tournament casting is not proper casting. I think you've summed it up well Lasse, how well you apply the correct basics determines success.

It has certainly improved my fishing casting too.

John
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:03 pm Last night the FFi held a Zoom classroom event on "North American casting styles".

There were around 90 participants, so surely there were some folks on here that attended. Lou, was that you?
Yes it was

Return to “Teaching”