PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

training aid

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

training aid

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hello everyone-

A golfer teaching fly casting, "Oh &%*$#$#$. :p

I am an experienced golf instructor who has work with tour players to beginners. Now, I can add teaching fly casting to my resume. My imagination is running wild with possible reactions to that note.... When I describe, or demonstrate, a straight line and smooth acceleration, which seems quite simple to me, my few pupils seem challenged by the concept, especially on the back cast.

So, I had an idea which was new to me, although I am sure not new to the world of fly fishing. A training aid to help the student feel that which I have described and demonstrated. I have constructed a hideously large monstrosity that includes a level piece of PVC pipe sitting approximately 11-12 feet off the ground. This pipe has a 1" groove cut out of it. An eyebolt is screwed into a smaller 4" long piece of PVC and extends through the groove allowing the smaller piece to slide freely inside the larger pipe. I have then attached an inexpensive fly rod to the eyebolt.

The caster can now make forward and back casts "throwing" the smaller piece of PVC inside the long pipe. Tracking is guaranteed and timing easy for them to feel and see. This allows them to use their own words in describing what to feel and do. I am making various sized smaller "slides" to experiment with the best amount of weight resistance inside the slide. I have tried out the rudimentary behemoth on a couple of people who have never fly fished and had tremendous success. These non-fly fishing people have immediately been able to form a loop, both ways.

Perhaps you all have seen this idea before. It's large and ugly to look at but fairly inexpensive to make. I have used pins in some joints to facilitate breaking down and transportation.

It affords many teaching applications such as adding a double haul. This is critical since the focus of my instruction is the more demanding saltwater environment. I am working on the addition of an adjustable "slide" on the side of the frame to allow teaching in different planes.

Quite curious the response to this. Thank you all.....
Phil

Paul-

Quick question. I am stuck with my 5 MED distance. I can carry 82-85 ft ( varies daily) but my loops breakdown terribly beyond this. (To be honest, I have spent most of my time of late working on shorter cast variations for saltwater applications). All my rods are 25 years old. Some friends and I were having a contest at targets recently and one of the others had not brought his gear. He tried both my 7 and 9 wt rods and was not impressed. He said the action was way too slow for him although these were fairly top of the line rods 25 yrs ago. You've talked about the change in rod design in recent years. What is the impact for you, when working on 5 MED distance, of various action rods? Thanks. Phil
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: training aid

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Phil, it’s a great idea. I’ve heard of various contraptions. Hugh Falkus I believe had one for the Spey casts but I’m not 100% sure and Mike Marshall uses something similar in his garden. I would certainly be interested to have a go.

Regards rods. First from a fishing/casting perspective they have been designed differently. Generally they are faster and lighter. Having said that there were excellent rods available 30 years ago. The G Loomis IMX was a long term favourite of mine.

For 5WT distance we are now just using much stiffer rods. Typically a 10WT rod is popular. I wouldn’t fish this tackle but for casting it certainly throws (a little) further. My stroke is different between them. For a long carry and a “5WT” fishing rod by arc is wide open. With the 10WT I can set loops using pullback on the backcast. My arc is definitely narrower.

Have we got the 12WT over your way yet? That will also throw a 5WT and is not totally dissimilar to throwing the 5 line on the HT10. Just slightly less comfortable!

Personally while I like and prefer the lighter faster rods that are available nowadays, I think that the trend has been to go too stiff and lifeless for some reason. It’s partly as a consequence of this that lines are being made heavier than standard. I really can’t explain this. :)

Cheers, Paul

Ps got any pictures? :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Couple of shots from Phil! :pirate:
Attachments
78B4DDAA-1B18-43E1-894E-861139FCF859.jpeg
78B4DDAA-1B18-43E1-894E-861139FCF859.jpeg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
001AFE08-8374-49C3-A61C-E1E9D456748C.jpeg
001AFE08-8374-49C3-A61C-E1E9D456748C.jpeg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Quite curious the response to this.
Phil,
Would it be possible to see a video of this aid being used by a a beginner? I would be interested to see what kind of stroke they inherently make when the tip of the rod is constrained to follow the path of your inner PVC slide.

Do they initiate the stroke with a shoulder rotation and a leading elbow (on the forward cast) as preferred by Chris Korich or do they just move the arm back and forth to slide the inner PVC back and forth.

From your description I am thinking they are not actually casting a line and making loops when using this aid. Is that the case?

I am an engineer and love training aids. None of them seemed to help my golf swing however.

Gordy
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Gordy-

I have had to go out of town for the rest of the week. I have a few tweaks to make to the track and slide to make when I get back. After that, I will put out a video. You are not throwing a line but you are making the motion that throws a nice loop. I've had two beginners on it with a great deal of success in a short period of time.
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Paul-

I'll have pics and a video next week when I'm back in town. No, I haven't heard how we can get the 12 wt down here yet...Thx
Phil

Return to “Teaching”