PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The importance of a sequential stop

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: The importance of a sequential stop

Post by Paul Arden »

Yea Lasse. I was working on that a few lockdowns ago. I think Phil mentioned it in the tracking discussion. And I was thinking about it again when I posted the previous reply. I reckon it’s certainly an answer to deep wading! Although if anyone walks behind you chances are you take their head clean off their shoulders! Straight alignment is very difficult. I’ll play with this again.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
Answers: 0

Post by John Waters »

Your correct about the stretch factor of the chest on the backcast Paul, I think it applies equally on the forward cast with the rod side of the body. The feet position is an interesting topic in itself. Would you please point me in the direction of the discussion and measure of relative hand speed of the haul? I can recall measures of rod hand speed but not haul hand.

I try and release as close to but just before RSP1 Gordy.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s Gordy who measured it John. I had a bit of a search but couldn’t immediately put my finger on the right discussion, only discussions of the discussion! Maybe Gordy can link it in? It’s a clip where I was casting distance at a show in Malaysia - and casting reasonably well, so I was surprised by the measurements. What I took away from it is that (my) peak haul acceleration is closer to MCL than RSP1.

The Swedes did a similar experiment with many casters and actually found a range of results. They all showed later rotation and late haul but the timing may not be as acute as we think, alternatively perhaps the perfect timing is very difficult to achieve, or maybe not what we think it is. I’m certainly coming around to thinking that MCL and just after is where it happens and not RSP and just before.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could attach some markers to the body and rod, film in slow motion, load the clip into some software and get immediate results? Then we could experiment, measure the results of the cast and compare to the software feed. That would save us all a lifetime of buggering about in the dark :laugh:

For Gordy to analyse the videos I believe he has to physically mark each frame one at a time. There are several things I would like a better picture of; hauling and rotation. I would like to be able to compare a range of timings to distance achieved (maybe the loop could be given a score 1-10, subjective I know, and the distance marked, conditions affected I know…. But do enough of this and the general picture should become clearer).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
Answers: 0

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul, my search was unsuccessful too. Would be very interested in such an exercise. I did a casting movement study a few years ago with body markers etc, but that was movement and hand speed focused, no sensors on the rod. I agree, an analytically measured study would be helpful, lab time, system availability and expertise does not come cheap. Any PhD students out there looking for a study subject?

John

Return to “Teaching”