PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Teaching styles

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Teaching styles

Post by Paul Arden »

I never do my hair.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

You've never invited me Vince 😉

And you can go for the delicate presentation, but in a competition where the soft presentation might mean missing the target or taking longer to finish, one goes for certainty and speed.

Always funny how non competitors bend over backwards to ensure competition is useless, and competitors bend over backwards to make sure they put each other down. Almost as if they all have small nuts as a common theme 🤪🤪

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

You've never invited me Vince 😉
I’m pretty sure I have ;)
And you can go for the delicate presentation, but in a competition where the soft presentation might mean missing the target or taking longer to finish, one goes for certainty and speed.
Yep, a different set of requirements which is why the solutions are different :)

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

The only difference in solution is trajectory, aim a foot higher, and flutter down, or a foot lower and hit the suface ;)

And you might have made an invitation, while I was in a different country and timezone, you choose the bar and a beer over going up a flight of stairs with said beer in hand when I invite you to a demo :p

Cheers
Lasse

VGB

Post by VGB »

It was a big flight of stairs and a really good beer 🍺🍺🍺. Even then I may have come if you hadn’t invited 300 other people as well.

I could live with a fly first delivery but rolling out the fly line like a carpet makes me cringe.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:51 pm Lasse,

I stand corrected. A Dane who has done well in those competitions could catch a fish in the scenarios I commonly enjoy.

Although, someone who has a honed their techniques in the common 5wt competitions that I see over here in the US (both accuracy and distance) ... would starve to death.

There was one recognized competition event - (not a one-time thrown together game like put-put golf at a conclave) - that I once saw called something like "Bassbug Accuracy"(?} in which I recognized some usefulness, but that seemed to be an obscure event that has fell to the wayside. I guess it was too hard? :D
The Bass Bug Accuracy event is competed for in competition casting in the US. It was an event in the most recent US Casting Championships. Great event, a real test of casting skill. There are other events that have very real relevance to fishing e.g. the Wet Fly Accuracy very accurately represents a common fishing cast.

There are 15 different fly casting events that I compete in, you'd think I'd get reasonably good at at least one, by now :( In my case, thank bloody hell for McDonalds, or I'd waste away to nothing.

I would love to have a cast in the Danish event, maybe when the world returns to some normality I'll get a chance to have a go.

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:58 pm Hi John

As an academic exercise, I would break down the activity into caster, equipment and environment. If you are measuring the position of the fly after delivery, you have to account for variations in all 3 areas and it would be a complex task. Grunde isolated the rod contribution in “the Rod and the Cast”, Ulrik did an excellent piece on sequencing in his rod and line hauling paper. There are some really interesting things to understand around motor control and attentional focus, particularly if there’s a comparison to be done between competition casters and anglers. It’s also possible to leverage off large amounts of hand eye coordination sports studies and maybe even human computer interface work in robotics using flexible arms. It’s probably best to decide the specific question then work out how to measure it.

Regards

Vince
Thanks Vince, appreciated. I agree, those research papers are excellent references and there is a massive amount of research available from other, but very similar sports, to casting. All aspects of sports science have developed greatly in the last decade, it will be interesting to see where that potential takes us in the next decade.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:59 pm It was a big flight of stairs and a really good beer 🍺🍺🍺. Even then I may have come if you hadn’t invited 300 other people as well.

I could live with a fly first delivery but rolling out the fly line like a carpet makes me cringe.

Regards

Vince
I even threw a cast down to you just to see if I could drag you up, those stairs wheren't that big!

Rolling out the flyline like a carpet, now you lost me 🙂

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

There are three ways of delivering the fly and line that I know of; fly first, fly and line together, line first from tip to fly. I use them all in fishing. The only time I can recall seeing the third used in comp accuracy is the ICSF event with 10WT (?) sinking lines.

I think if Vince had watched Steve’s 78 point accuracy round he would completely change his mind about this event. I did! Did anyone video that? That made me rethink my whole “accuracy is for girls” approach to the game. That level of ability is remarkable. It got me practising! And I can honestly say as a result I’m a better fisherman.

For me it can be summed up by “loop control”. The three places that really have excellent accuracy casters are the US, Norway and Australia. That’s because they all take it seriously.

I know Steve’s ability to take shots at Tarpon is outstanding because Gordy Hill has taken him out many times. Another area where I think comp casting helps is in dealing with the pressure. Making shots under pressure is an art in itself. First time I fished with Gordy I nearly fell out the boat because my knees turned to jelly :D I’ve never had that before in my life!!! By the second cast I was fine. Making the shot happen in these circumstances is very challenging indeed. And the pressure at the Worlds is immense. Dry mouth, shaking hands, and this in a game where we have to be smooth and not tighten up.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Only a bit of it

Return to “Teaching”