PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Student Levels

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Student Levels

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul

The levels and content are fine but the interesting part for me is the interaction between you and the student, and also their ability to become self sufficient. I want them to become independent and have the confidence to explore techniques and solve problems. The interpersonal skills is an element of the teaching that I really enjoy but making the student responsible for their own later development is a shite business plan because you might not see them very often :D

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s certainly a lot of fun. I like the problem solving. How to go from A to B. Every journey is a little bit different. I particularly like high level 2. I really feel that I have something to offer there. That’s mostly where I’ve pitched myself for the last twenty years. They are hardcore anglers. What’s not to like? :D

Using my three levels, I get students entry 1 (raw beginners). Students between 1 and 2 (learning the Double Haul). Students upper 2 trying to get into 3 (that’s most of my teaching). Upper 3 is all peer to peer and informal.

Right, new 15HP outboard. Got to run it in!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
Didn't read the entire thing, but I,have a question.
After a distance casting presentation at the local club, I've been asked to prepare someone for a Tuna trip the day after and polish their distance skills.
After seeing that person cast , there was not much for me ti do. When I said that the dbl haul is good, timing is good they didn't believe me.
The only issue was too low trajectory of a back cast. They were ticking on the grass, and I said if they keep it low they will hit a side of the boat.
I show them, all good, then few their cast were good, and back to low trajectory and overpowering.
There was not much for me to do a part of repeating HIGHER HIGHER for 2 hours.
As a student their level was good.
I charged them, but felt like I have not done enough.
How do you deal with such a situation?
Cheers
Mike
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Mike,

I think you've done the right thing. They'll hit the boat a few times and remember your advice, so you've done your job. Especially since they didn't allow any practice time between the lesson and going fishing ...

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Mike

For me the key is how the student obtains feedback is the key to an enduring fix. If he is reliant on your prompting, the feedback disappears after the lesson and the student is likely revert. If they have visual cue based on the line position, they are more likely to self diagnose and the change become a bit more sticky. In this instance, the dink on the boat may be considered a form of cue but from my days of dropping heavy lumps of lead over the side, it would be accompanied by the skipper shouting at you not to damage the gelcoat and chucking you over the side if there was a repeat error :D

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Tangled

Post by Tangled »

You could stretch a slack rope out behind him 3' in the air and put a hook on. He'll soon get fed up untangling it.
Or just get him to cast with a low hedge behind.

Who was it that just shouted 'STOP' louder and louder to get the student to stop the rod high?
VGB

Post by VGB »

Tangled wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:22 am You could stretch a slack rope out behind him 3' in the air and put a hook on. He'll soon get fed up untangling it.
Or just get him to cast with a low hedge behind.
I would have thought that they would get tangled in the boats propeller?

Tangled

Post by Tangled »

VGB wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:00 am I would have thought that they would get tangled in the boats propeller?
Not unless the boat was in the casting field ;-)
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Cheers
What if someone ask you for a lesson, and when you meet it turns out he/she is a very good caster?
Cheers
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Mike

Are you working on your casting? You're a pretty good caster right?

There's always something to work on, no matter how good we get. Theres always a fish a bit further out, in a bit stronger headwind, with a bit more difficult current etc. Or a longer measuring tape, a smaller ring to hit etc.

Its fun because we can make it as difficult as we want to, and the better we get, the more shortcuts we can take and allow ourselves to be lazy.

In short, very good isn't the end of the line.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Teaching”