PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

MCI Double Haul Question?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

RexW
Answers: 0

MCI Double Haul Question?

Post by RexW »

Question about the MCI exam Double Haul question. I just want to confirm that my interpretation is correct.

"The candidate will commence with two false casts at 45 feet, extend the line EVENLY over a minimum of 4 false casts and complete the task with 2 false casts at 65 feet before laying the line down at 65 ft."

My question concerns the "extend the line evenly over a minimum of 4 false casts" portion. Is the expectation that if 4 false casts are used, then exactly 5 feet of line will be extended during each false cast?

Going from 45 to 65 feet while false casting is simple,but doing so in consistent 5 foot increments is not as easy. Is that the expectation?

Thanks!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: MCI Double Haul Question?

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Rex, I don’t think so because it’s a minimum of 4 false casts. But I’m sure someone will step in who exams. If not I’ll ask!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I don't think they are terribly anal about being exactly 5' on each false cast. They just don't want to see 1 false cast at 45', shoot to 65' and five more at 65'. They want to see controlled shooting of line and variations in the haul parameters that are proportional to the line carried (see the required performance standards for the task.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Agree with Graeme. Also, examiners expect to see double hauls on the initial pick up and with the two false cast at 45feet.
Lou
RexW

Post by RexW »

Thank you for the help!
RexW

Post by RexW »

I played around with this task today. On the surface, it appears to be a pretty straightforward task. Picking up and hauling at 45 ft. is simple enough. Surprisingly, evenly increasing the line to 65 ft. in small increments was easier than expected. Double hauling 65 ft. was nothing new to me. However, making two nice, consistent false casts at 65 ft. was a humbling experience.

Hauling with 65 ft in air is common with a distance cast, but I'm not sure if I have ever attempted to false cast at that distance. I have some practice to do. :)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Rex

Unless something have changed, its meant to be to extend the line over several casts, so the eaminers can see the progress. I have had candidates in the past trying to shoot everything from the get go, and thats what is not wanted 🙂

Good luck in nailing down those pretty 65 footers!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Remember it’s measured feet to fly Rex. This is a good example of where you don’t want to use the shortest length leader permitted :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

What Paul said ^
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Teaching”