PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Good fly casting instructional book

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Good fly casting instructional book

Post by VGB »

Hi Jason

You’ve been quiet for a long time, I hope you are keeping well, best wishes to your Dad.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Hi Vince—Guess I’ve been keeping my head down, catching a few fish, and trying to pay the bills.

I’ll pass along your regards to my father. Kind of you.

Hope your 2022 season is a good one.
VGB wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:36 pm Hi Jason

You’ve been quiet for a long time, I hope you are keeping well, best wishes to your Dad.

Regards

Vince
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Walter

Post by Walter »

RSalar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:29 am I have now gone through both books. I find that there is a lot of the same material in both books (in fact most of it is the same). The soft cover is available on eBay for under $10 — that’s the one to get IMHO.

I got a kick out of the two highlighted statements in the picture below — apparently he can’t make up his mind about how much the bend, spring effect, loading, effects power/line speed either.

67CE9EC6-3DE5-4132-80E1-D3134778022D.jpeg

The end of the last sentence is: “(re)contribution has reached maximum.”
Isn’t this copyright infringement?
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Jason

Good to see you back here!

Hope you have a good 2022 season, and all is going ok.

Say hi to mister "I'll show you how to carry 120 feet of line"
Still makes me laugh :D missed the chance to say hi last time he was at the German show.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Walter wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 am
RSalar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:29 am I have now gone through both books. I find that there is a lot of the same material in both books (in fact most of it is the same). The soft cover is available on eBay for under $10 — that’s the one to get IMHO.

I got a kick out of the two highlighted statements in the picture below — apparently he can’t make up his mind about how much the bend, spring effect, loading, effects power/line speed either.

No — It’s called Fair Use.
FFI - CCI
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Hi Lasse—His 120-foot carry remains, to this day, one of the greatest pieces of fly casting showmanship I have ever witnessed. And he “got” me, too.

I’ll let him know you say “hi.”
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:58 am Hi Jason

Good to see you back here!

Hope you have a good 2022 season, and all is going ok.

Say hi to mister "I'll show you how to carry 120 feet of line"
Still makes me laugh :D missed the chance to say hi last time he was at the German show.

Cheers
Lasse
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Walter

Post by Walter »

RSalar wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:00 pm
Walter wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 am

No — It’s called Fair Use.

The fair dealing exception in the Copyright Act allows you to use other people's copyright material for the purpose of research, private study, criticism, review, news reporting, education, satire or parody provided that what you do with the work is "fair".

Taking photos of copyrighted material and posting it in a public forum without the consent of the copyright holder is not considered fair use. Depending on country the poster or the owner of the public forum could be held responsible for infringement of copyright on that forum.

Each country has its own definitions of copyright and fair use or fair dealing. In this case the copyright holder is an American citizen. He’s still a pretty good guy in spite of that though. ;)
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

I don’t agree with your interpretation of Fair Use. What difference does it make if I take a picture or re-type his words. I gave home credit for saying it. And there is no damage done … In fact the post has benefitted him — he’s already sold at least two more book because of this thread. What would he sue me for? Helping him sell books? Being an American pretty much guarantees he is a fair and reasonable person. I’m happy to provide my full name, address, & phone number so he can get in touch.

Lots of fun reading on the subject here:

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/cases/

—Ron
FFI - CCI
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

PS: If we would like to discuss Fair Use further we will probably need to move this to a new sub-forum. :laugh:
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think we are all on the same side here. If someone is on a different side then I need to know so I can get my bazooka ready.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”