PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Good fly casting instructional book

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Walter
Answers: 0

Re: Good fly casting instructional book

Post by Walter »

RSalar wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:56 pm I don’t agree with your interpretation of Fair Use. What difference does it make if I take a picture or re-type his words. I gave home credit for saying it.

—Ron
Having spent 5 years employed as an intellectual property analyst at a government organization I can tell you I'm well versed in the topic and have probably read most of the reference material you can provide. I've probably also discussed it with colleagues and legal experts. It's not "my interpretation". You did not get his permission before posting it publicly and you weren't critiquing the material. I doubt very much that his sales increased due to your posting nor is that even relevant.

Jason is a helluva good guy so I don't think you have anything to worry about there. At worst case I would expect him to give you the option of removing the picture and substitute something else, if he was personally concerned, and no more would be said if you complied. This is not just me being pissy - it's cautionary for future reference. Copyright infringement matters.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Walter wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:54 pm
RSalar wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:56 pm I don’t agree with your interpretation of Fair Use. What difference does it make if I take a picture or re-type his words. I gave home credit for saying it.

—Ron
Having spent 5 years employed as an intellectual property analyst at a government organization I can tell you I'm well versed in the topic and have probably read most of the reference material you can provide. I've probably also discussed it with colleagues and legal experts. It's not "my interpretation". You did not get his permission before posting it publicly and you weren't critiquing the material. I doubt very much that his sales increased due to your posting nor is that even relevant.

Jason is a helluva good guy so I don't think you have anything to worry about there. At worst case I would expect him to give you the option of removing the picture and substitute something else, if he was personally concerned, and no more would be said if you complied. This is not just me being pissy - it's cautionary for future reference. Copyright infringement matters.
I appreciate your concern very much but I too have discussed this with legal experts and feel completely comfortable with my post.
FFI - CCI
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

No concerns about anything. This is Sexyloops. Onward.
RSalar wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:27 am
Walter wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:54 pm

—Ron

I appreciate your concern very much but I too have discussed this with legal experts and feel completely comfortable with my post.
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Walter

Post by Walter »

RSalar wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:27 am
Doing a Google search hardly qualifies as legal experts. Jason has provided permission. That’s what counts.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Jason Borger wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:17 pm No concerns about anything. This is Sexyloops. Onward.
Thanks Jason,

Just so you know, it wasn’t easy, but I did find and purchase a copy. I am enjoying it and learning a lot—it has the clearest and most accurate illustrations that I’ve seen.

6EBC01BD-85FF-496D-8BA1-768AC5EED4DE.jpeg

—Ron
FFI - CCI
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Good to hear you like the illustrations. Hopefully you find “Single-Handed” as a whole to be a more mature work.

“Nature” was mostly written 20 something years ago by a guy who was 20 something. The text is perhaps too eager and self-absorbed.
RSalar wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:09 pm
Jason Borger wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:17 pm No concerns about anything. This is Sexyloops. Onward.
Thanks Jason,

Just so you know, it wasn’t easy, but I did find and purchase a copy. I am enjoying it and learning a lot—it has the clearest and most accurate illustrations that I’ve seen.

6EBC01BD-85FF-496D-8BA1-768AC5EED4DE.jpeg

—Ron
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Jason Borger wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:53 pm Good to hear you like the illustrations. Hopefully you find “Single-Handed” as a whole to be a more mature work.

“Nature” was mostly written 20 something years ago by a guy who was 20 something. The text is perhaps too eager and self-absorbed.
I didn't pick up on any self absorbed stuff. I also heard/saw your interview with a guy (sorry don't know which one -- some podcast) -- he was asking you about the book -- especially the modular approach concept. You came across as being very honestly modest and to the point. All good. It's not your fault that I'm not up to speed on the more technical aspects of a pretty complex subject.
FFI - CCI
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

It’s my favourite book, Jason. I take it everywhere. 🙂
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Thanks for that! Maybe I need to do a pocket sized edition. Would be a great way to force me to get a bit more serious about being succinct and cutting everything to the core.
nicholasfmoore wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:45 pm It’s my favourite book, Jason. I take it everywhere. 🙂
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I would pay again for an eBook version Jason. I’d love to carry mine around on my iPad.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Teaching”