PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Weight transfer/ sequential blocking

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: Weight transfer/ sequential blocking

Post by RSalar »

That makes sense. People typically start earning more money ... or have accumulated some money later in life. I'm sure most people learn how to fly cast either on their own or from a friend. I've taught a few people how to cast and they got good enough in just an hour or hour so, so that they could catch fish. They couldn't cast big heavy flies 80 feet to a feeding permit but they could cast a line out into the river where they had a chance to catch an Atlantic salmon -- and did. I didn't know anything about teaching fly casting -- I didn't use any fancy terms or analogies or cues -- I just showed them how to move in order to make the cast. The first cast I taught one guy was the roll cast -- that worked pretty well. But everyone back then wanted to cast like Brad Pitt in the River Runs Through It... so roll casting wasn't sexy enough.

I think the Fly Casting World, especially the teaching part of it is filled with way too much industry specific jargon and acronyms. Jason does it in his book-- I have to flip back to the Index/Appendix constantly. The amount of ink saved isn't worth the aggravation in my opinion. As teachers, I think, we need to use words that our students already know and if we are going to come up with an analogy we need to know if the student even understands it. Not everyone knows how to throw a frisbee; not everyone knows how to swing an ax or can use a hammer to hit a nail; not everyone has thrown an apple from the end of a stick ... But I get it -- teaching is much easier in person. You can help them move a certain way -- you can hold the fly rod with them and make the motion. Teaching via Zoom is a very unique challenge! And I am sure that is you can be successful at teaching via Zoom then you are a superior teacher in person! You are doing great work -- I appreciate the information you are facilitating.

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I totally agree that analogies need to be person-specific, Ron. Finding the right ones and making new ones with your students is very important. That’s all part of the student/coaching loop. For me I’ve always felt it really important to know and listen to your student/s.

I really enjoy the 1-1 stuff that Zoom gives me with students often booking 12 lessons. I have never had that in the past. Normally it’s one lesson, two if I’m lucky. 12 lessons is a very different proposition and not only do the students develop far more, but so do I! :)

For about ten or 15 years most of my teaching was group days or weekends. A course with 10, sometimes 20 people, for one or occasionally two days. I used to do around 20, and sometimes 30 of these per year, as I travelled.

Prior to this, when I first started teaching, I used to teach anglers to double haul/distance cast on the local reservoir (as well as the beginners courses).

What I’m doing now however is much more rewarding and it’s really allowed me to analyse and hopefully improve my own teaching too. Coaching a student for 6 months, or in one case 18 months, has been a tremendous experience.

Terminology and acronyms can be misleading I understand that. Apart from a few that I think important for students, tip path, casting arc and so on, I tend only to use them with instructors.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

RSalar wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:46 am
I think the Fly Casting World, especially the teaching part of it is filled with way too much industry specific jargon and acronyms.
It's for instructors talking to instructors. A bit like finance people don't describe adding beans to other beans when they are talking with each other. Salesmen always talk shite, even in their sleep.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

I've seen a lot of acronyms in casting books meant for regular everyday people trying to learn how to cast. If the goal is to communicate clearly then we should use words that average people understand. As you know YYL and HMD can lean to some frustration because of GGT. That's why the really good salesmen avoid industry specific jargon -- like the ones who are selling their guide services, fly rods, and books.
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Who is the average person you are talking about? A mechanic, nuclear physicist, my French speaking wife or my grandchildren? My wife has fished twice, do you need the same book as her after 50 years of fishing experience?

The majority of salesmen are professional bullshitters, it’s in their DNA

https://research-runner.com/guide-to-sales-jargon/
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

RSalar

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:22 pm Who is the average person you are talking about?
Hi Vince,

Anyone and everyone who isn’t a professional fly casting instructor. The instructor to instructor rationale doesn’t make sense because there are lots of non-instructors here and other people who are studying to be instructors who don’t know all of the acronyms. Typing PULD vs pick up and lay down, for all practical purposes doesn’t save any time.

It could be a turn off to some people. Did you ever think that it might come across, to a non casting instructor, that you guys want to appear like you are members of an exclusive clique? Like saying: “We know all the cool acronyms — you don’t — so you’re not one of us?” I don’t think that is the message you want to send — so why risk it?

IMHO, If a Book or Instructional Video or even the Board is exclusively for Professional Instructors then that should be made clear. I hope this doesn’t hurt your feelings — sometimes it’s hard to handle the truth. But that’s what we need to do, if we want to get better.

Why do you think using acronyms is a good thing? What purpose do they serve in a non-exclusive (as opposed to an exclusive For Instructors Only) forum?

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

What is IMHO? :p

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Many years ago
https://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/te ... nyms.shtml
Also here http://sexyloops.co.uk/archivedboard/vi ... =3&t=13319

Probably got some others knocking around. Any you don’t know please ask. :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:11 am
Something I’m considering is links to casting definitions and terms and acronyms somewhere at the top.

Cheers, Paul
That would be great!
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:32 pm What is IMHO? :p
Salesmens jargon. Sorry got to dash, I’ve got a book on how to build your own mini reactor and some arrogant fool has written U-235 in it. Everyone knows Irish tribute rock bands know f’all about nuclear fission.

Regards

Vince

Return to “Teaching”