PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve casts in the MCI exam

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Curve casts in the MCI exam

Post by Graeme H »

Being as it's been mentioned above, the svirgolato cast can be used for both right and left curves from a low (horizontal) rod plane - would these casts be suitable to pass the task in question?
The Svirgoleto cast involves creating a tailing loop so it would not be allowed in the exam.
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:16 am OK, I must retract.

Fine combing the MCI requirements, I found this:

"Unless specifically permitted by a task, elliptical (or Belgian/Gebetsroither) casts, Barnegat Bay casts
(forward cast away from target, backcast to target), and Galway casts (forward cast away from, and offside forward cast to target) are not allowed."

So, unless I wanted to start an argument or lawyer up, and also be crafty with my backcast stroke, my second choice of using a low off-side presentation of a normal back cast would fall into the Barnegat Bay definition and not be allowed.

If I were taking the MCI today, I personally would default to an under-powered curve for my second demo of both curves.

Reading through the tests has caused me to re-live my original distaste of the obvious bias toward trout fishing techniques. Many of these requirements are foreign to and pretty much useless in the salt. Tom White talked me down and rationalized that salt fly represents only about 5% of fly fishing (at that time). But, the quoted text above is obviously saying, "Don't bring your saltwater techniques to this test!"

I have half a mind to create an unofficial "CI-Salt" exam just out of spite, and to highlight how different the "basic" requirements are. :evil:
IMHO, you're correct Gary - on all counts.

One of the guys sitting their MCI at the recent Aussie testing event was previously informed by a well known Aussie MCI (a level 3 examiner) that the backhand overpowered curve cast was desirable and acceptable for the exam. When he attempted to use it in the exam, he was failed on the task (he had no backup cast method to achieve the result).

For the record, we can use underpowered curve casts for all four variations in the exam.

I use the backhand cast as my default for those desired results, over- and under- powered. Just because it's "not needed" doesn't make it any less useful or efficient. Practicing them makes them useful and accurate, and easy.

BTW, I failed my MCI exam again. My weakness in the "freshwater-only techniques" let me down again and it will always do so. Casting without hauling, mends around targets, curve casts with specific styles and accuracy without a haul or shooting line (ever tried to hover a crab on a permit? ;) ) are simply not things I use on a regular basis. The only time I practice/use them is for the MCI exam ...

I don't think I'll be chasing the MCI rating again.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

VGB wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:59 pm
Paul Arden wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:12 pm Hi Vince, I wouldn’t “take out anything”. That’s adding not taking away :)

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul

If you keep adding stuff to the CI, the candidates will have to take a hotel and take the assessment over a couple of days :D

Regards

Vince
That is normal. Anyway I’m not talking about CCI (FFI), simply that casting instructors should all be able to make and teach curve casts. It’s something I’ve been asked to teach many times over the years and it’s one of the things that separates flycasting from other forms of casting.

What appears on tests is irrelevant to me but if you were to ask me specifically about CCI and exams taking 90 minutes or less, assuming it is an exam for professional teaching ie charging money and as a professional body? That seems like an incredibly short amount of time particularly without an official training programme. However I don’t think the IFF structure of being a subset of a conservation group is the correct one for a professional body either and so I make no specific comments about that only what should Casting Instructors be able to teach and demonstrate in their field!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I would actually agree with the SW comments. In the Uk it’s not single hand and double hand. It’s Trout/Seatrout and salmon. For the UK it would be easier to slot in a SW teaching exam.

I remember decades ago Henry Lowe telling me that one of the better things about these exams was that it was entering a body of knowledge. Which is wonderful. Only sometimes it appears that once in the thirst for more knowledge sometimes departs.

Now I’m free again let’s have a Zoom meet Graeme. Just give me a couple of days to recover.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:30 am Now I’m free again let’s have a Zoom meet Graeme. Just give me a couple of days to recover.

Cheers, Paul
Yep. Give me a yell when you're free.
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:20 am That is normal. Anyway I’m not talking about CCI (FFI), simply that casting instructors should all be able to make and teach curve casts. It’s something I’ve been asked to teach many times over the years and it’s one of the things that separates flycasting from other forms of casting.

What appears on tests is irrelevant to me but if you were to ask me specifically about CCI and exams taking 90 minutes or less, assuming it is an exam for professional teaching ie charging money and as a professional body? That seems like an incredibly short amount of time particularly without an official training programme. However I don’t think the IFF structure of being a subset of a conservation group is the correct one for a professional body either and so I make no specific comments about that only what should Casting Instructors be able to teach and demonstrate in their field!
I’m not a fan of the assessment format but given the average return on investment, I don’t think that increasing student costs would be good for the instructor organisations. For my money there’s been an over emphasis on casting performance and not enough attention on coaching skills. I know of at least one serious attempt at introducing a modular course in the U.K. that was produced by a professional educator but it met a considerable amount of resistance, there’s are are vested interests that prevent change. As a matter you be prepared to do a 2/3 year college course before being allowed to teach?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Graeme H wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:50 am The Svirgoleto cast involves creating a tailing loop so it would not be allowed in the exam.
I guess that’s because it’s assumed that a tail is always a fault which is out of kilter with real world fishing.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

Graeme H wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:11 am BTW, I failed my MCI exam again. My weakness in the "freshwater-only techniques" let me down again and it will always do so. Casting without hauling, mends around targets, curve casts with specific styles and accuracy without a haul or shooting line (ever tried to hover a crab on a permit? ;) ) are simply not things I use on a regular basis. The only time I practice/use them is for the MCI exam ...
I’m really sorry to hear that Graeme, I know how much work you’ve put into it. One of my bugbears about the system is that I have a mountain of gear that I use for instructor assessments that I don’t use for fishing.

Regards

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

As a matter you be prepared to do a 2/3 year college course before being allowed to teach?
Yes of course. That would have been wonderful. However I don't think that there are sufficient numbers of interested to-be-instructors or even students to teach afterwards to merit the interest of colleges. Some sort of 2 or 3 year apprenticeship programme administered by the respective bodies would be best I think. Most do indeed train nowadays for a few years and a properly structured programme is actually what I believe many are looking for. :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:59 am Most do indeed train nowadays for a few years and a properly structured programme is actually what I believe many are looking for. :pirate:
They train at becoming better casters not the academic side of coaching such as biomechanics, teaching techniques, psychology, sports injuries etc that professional sports coaches do. Many colleges here cover sports science but the aim of the course is not to produce world class athletes, so they don’t spend their days pole vaulting or playing football.

Regards

Vince

Return to “Teaching”