PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve casts in the MCI exam

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Curve casts in the MCI exam

Post by Graeme H »

I realise this is not directly related to teaching but I can't see where else to post this question.

In the MCI exam, Task 7 asks to produce two curve casts to the right, one with a near horizontal rod and the other with a near vertical rod.

I've been producing these results very easily with a back cast delivery until now, but a friend and fellow MCI candidate has pointed out that those casts are possibly prohibited under the general performance standards.

Can any of the FFi examiners here verify that I won't be able to use those back hand casts please?

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Re: Curve casts in the MCI exam

Post by Graeme H »

All clear now. Thanks to Walter for the discussion.

No back cast deliveries allowed.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I assume you’ll overpower with horizontal and underpowered with near vertical. It sure why it’s written that way. But we should be able to teach left and right over and underpowered curves in most rod planes and off both shoulders. I would have thought that all casting instructors should be able to do that. It only takes practise, play and a bit of understanding.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

Thanks for bringing this up, Graeme. I'm struggling with the underpowered (near vertical) curve cast to the right. The instruction was to use a "J" movement at the stop for the left-hand side, and a backward "J" movement at the stop to the right. I can do the left-side pretty well, but the right?? Hah! I've even tried turning the rod sideways (upward palm) on the delivery cast and then executing the backward "J" to get more of a "U" rather than a "J" at the stop. With either a "J" or a "U", the fly leg tends to crash into the rod. This morning I tried something different. Instead of a straight backcast, I took it off plane, like bad tracking, and coupled that with the backward "J" at the stop. That finally got the results I wanted but I don't know if it's an acceptable technique. Any L-2 examiners have an opinion?
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Carol

Why do you think the orientation of the loop in the previous cast matters on your delivery?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Carol

Post by Carol »

Is this a Socratic teaching question?
-180 degree rule (though I break that one with a continuous tension cast, perhaps because there isn’t a stop)
-Experience with bad tracking tells me if I curve the back cast in one direction, it will lay out in the opposite direction on the forward cast: Even “minor” curves can have a significant effect on accuracy.
Carol
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Carol,

Where are you drawing the J? On the wall in front of you, or on the ceiling?

If you are crashing the fly, you might be drawing on the wall, while it should be on the ceiling.

But... the main thing about under-powered curves is much more about the "power" part than anything else. There is no traditional "stop", as there is no loop. You want to pull the loop open with the horizontal path of the rod tip. It helps to slip some line as you drag the rod tip horizontally also.

Begin the presentation stroke vertically and toward where you want the fly to land, but end the stroke horizontally and drag the tip toward where you want the the curve to land... then drop the rod tip and anchor the line between the curve and the rod tip on the water.

It is a great way to put a 90 degree curve out there, but it is tough to cast it very far and pretty much useless in winds. But you can get a streamer to swim sideways along a shoreline for quite some distance when the conditions allow.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Carol

Post by Carol »

Thanks, Wallace. That is very helpful, and I'll try focusing on your suggestions.
Carol
Carol

Post by Carol »

I worked on this today with Jonathan Walter's coaching and ended up with some excellent curve casts. Not quite MCI exam level, but close and well on the way. I was, indeed, using too much force (and speed). BTW, sorry for calling you Wallace, though I don't know your real name.
Carol
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Carol wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:39 pm Is this a Socratic teaching question?
-180 degree rule (though I break that one with a continuous tension cast, perhaps because there isn’t a stop)
-Experience with bad tracking tells me if I curve the back cast in one direction, it will lay out in the opposite direction on the forward cast: Even “minor” curves can have a significant effect on accuracy.
Hi Carol

Maybe. I was asking because it doesn't make sense that the loop orientation should have such a impact, so you have to be doing something else, which is the usual culprit.
180 rule of thump is tracking and trajectory, "continues tension" cast doesn't break that.
Yes, throwing tracking of does help in curving the other way, unless its a overpowered curve you are looking for.

Try laying the line straight on the ground behind you, and see if it does a difference in getting the line to curve.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Teaching”