PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

High Pressure Shots

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

High Pressure Shots

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi folks, I’m sticking this in the teaching forum because this is where my interest lies in this topic but equally it’s an interesting discussion from a fishing perspective.

There are a number of scenarios. One that appears here regularly is a flycaster who can make the Snakehead shot to a floating shoe, but when the shoe becomes a fish then everything goes out the window. I know it also applies to SW shots as well as in competition casting too of course.

In today’s FP I mention “too many minds… no mind”. Which is definitely where my thoughts on this subject lay. But how the hell to train it?

I think there is a certain amount of stubbornness in me, that says something like “I’ve come all the way around the world to do this, I must put the bloody shot in”. Jon Allen talked to me about willing in the final 6 arrows into bullseye when he shot a completely clean round in archery in competition.

There is obviously something going on in the mind here. In sports they call it “choking”.

Obviously it’s a huge part of the taking shots game to have this high pressure casting. I feel that I perform at my best when the chips are down. But I am definitely in the rarity when it comes to Snakehead fishing.

Last week the Tassies told me something interesting. They had both agreed that it was mentally easier for them to make the shot when fishing on their own without me watching! In other words my presence made it more likely for them to choke.

When guiding this fishing I teach that several things must happen. Once the fish is spotted a fraction of a second must be taken to look at precisely where they want to place the fly, which then aligns to their back target. The Snakehead shot itself must have become totally natural by this point, indeed before they arrive it must be trained. And then the shot is made, back, forward, on target. This has to happen very fast (only 1-2 seconds to place the fly) but also slowing down slightly seems to make more time.

With experience I actually find that time slows. And I really believe that it does. Certainly when I play the shot back in my mind it is always in slow motion.

Catching a fish early on here really helps give confidence. If the fish doesn’t happen early then it can be a trip of missed casts.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Re: High Pressure Shots

Post by VGB »

I wrote a bit of a dit on pressure for Mark Herron’s site a couple of years back:

https://thecuriousflycaster.com/2020-an ... s-odyssey/

I’d probably add a bit more if I wrote it today, based on Nick Winkelmans description of attentional focus, in that the presence of a coach becomes a point of external focus because the student is seeking validation. I think that leaving the student to have a period of self discovery removes this distraction and enables more fluid performance.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
George C

Post by George C »

Instructors and guides seek validation as well.
Students and clients know this and want to provide it.
VGB

Post by VGB »

George, do you think Paul’s insecurities are adding to the students pressures to perform? I can see how that would be a problem :D :D

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D That’s probably what it is.

It’s interesting I was watching Ashly take similar shots. Her cast is shorter so we need to get in closer which can be a problem. However her shots go in to the best of her ability. I asked her if she is not nervous, she said no and interestingly said she didn’t really care if she caught the fish or not.

That might sound pretty flat but thinking about it, I don’t care either, what I care about is whether or not the shot goes in. If I put the shot in perfectly and the fish doesn’t eat then hats off to it. I actually enjoy that too. So for me it’s not about the fish; it’s about the shot. The fish is actually a distraction while making the shot.

How many times did Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis miss the black?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

The stakes are different for you and Ashley compared to your guests. If you miss, you can go again tomorrow, or next week. Your guests may be on the trip of a lifetime and it’s a much bigger deal for them. For me, I don’t so much remember the fish I catch, unless they are exceptional but I remember all of the good fish I’ve stuffed up or lost.

The reason I mentioned Winkelman is that he described attentional focus as a spotlight, your guests are likely turning that spotlight on you instead of their own performance which will interfere with their free movement or sequencing. I know that when I took a DH lesson, I was doing just that, one ear on the instructor listening for commentary. He left me to my own devices for a while and my performance had a step change improvement but he knew precisely what he was doing.

Regards

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vince,

It’s definitely heightened when being watched but it’s also the case when fishing solo. I run two boats here and guests have the option to fish alone which many do. It’s much harder of course because there is much more to Snakehead fishing than just taking the shot. When George landed his large fish he was shaking. If you saw Stefan’s video from a few years ago he was also shaking. I don’t get that nowadays with Snakehead (maybe if they are big enough!) although I most certainly do with large Gourami.

Of course the timeline is an additional source of pressure. As is lack of available shots. The fact that the first shot is the most important. And that it has to be on the money. These are all distractions. And they can be overwhelming.

I see exactly the same thing in competition.

When I was fishing with Gordy Hill about 20 years ago I nearly fell out the boat when 100 tarpon porpoised past the boat and my knees gave way! Fortunately I managed to put the second shot in. (It’s difficult to miss 100 tarpon but I still managed to miss first time!).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

VGB wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:05 am George, do you think Paul’s insecurities are adding to the students pressures to perform? I can see how that would be a problem :D :D

Regards

Vince
I think that when someone puts huge energy and effort into helping them, many people feel a need (and hence pressure) to reward that effort. Paul, very much, wants his clients to catch a fish ( for their sake but also his own) and I’m sure they sense that. They know that blowing a chance will disappoint Paul as much or more than themselves. Letting others down is harder for many people than letting themselves down.

This, sadly, is a common problem when teaching one’s children to fish. You love them, you love fishing, you desperately want them to succeed at it, you try to help them, and the fear of failing you ruins it for them. Been there, done that, and I’m sure a similar dynamic can develop between a client and guide.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I understand George, my response was very much tongue-in-cheek for Paul’s benefit.

VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:30 am When I was fishing with Gordy Hill about 20 years ago I nearly fell out the boat when 100 tarpon porpoised past the boat and my knees gave way! Fortunately I managed to put the second shot in. (It’s difficult to miss 100 tarpon but I still managed to miss first time!).
Gordy, gave me the story of your tarpon trip over lunch when I dropped by for a visit a couple of years ago :D He’s an absolute gentleman. I did read something a while back about sense of time changing with expertise and pressure, I’ll see if I can dig it out again.

Regards

Vince

Return to “Teaching”