PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Arm extension and double haul

Moderator: Paul Arden

clayed21085
Answers: 0

Arm extension and double haul

Post by clayed21085 »

I think this was brought up in the fishing distance category but to be a little more detailed, when carrying longer lengths of line and bringing the casting hand/arm only up to the head or just past the head so I still focus on completely extending the hauling arm even though my casting arm isn't completely extended. Also could you talk about torso rotation a little during the backcast as I feel that's important for a straight line path. :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Arm extension and double haul

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

I think I need a bit more information but what I like about completely straightening the hauling hand is that it can accelerate very sharply to an immediate stop. This makes both timing easier to control and you can hit higher speeds. Of course there are many times I don’t haul to a perfectly straight arm but then I tend to haul through RSP (videos show).

Torso rotation can lead to tracking problems and it will take extra work to track straight. When I cast the rod arm past the body I try to get out of the way of the rod (so that it tracks straight) and then on the forward cast I move back behind the rod. So In other words I am not simply rotating the body but moving slightly away from the rod on the backcast and back to behind it for the forward cast. You need a certainly amount of flexibility for this. If you don’t do this then as you increase your casting stroke length you will increase the tracking error!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

Of you were able to attach your rod to say a clothes line or even just run your thumb along it, in order to keep everything straight after your hand went behind your head you would have to turn your body ( or ark your back, uncomfortable) unless you stand completely sideways. This is how I came up with this his conclusion if we're truly attempting to move our hand in a straight path. By moving out of the way, so you mean stepping out of the way slightly?

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes it’s a body/weight shift to move the body out of the way! In order to cast the 170 for example where I reach back as far as possible I both move away from the rod with the back foot (assuming open stance) and arch the back slightly.

When blocking with the shoulder - which is more of a “fishing distance” style it’s less obvious but still there. (That is your rotation!)

I’ll try to make a short video of this. It’s an excellent topic and one that I don’t think has been fully covered. My wife is visiting this week so I’ll have a go at making a short film either tomorrow or more likely Tuesday.

I’ll have a bit of a think. Maybe I’ll give a fuller presentation on Stance which is really the full topic.

Thanks!!!
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

Ok I'm looking forward to it
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Me too! I hope this doesn’t become one of those items that get added to the list. Have to meet my boat builder today! Will try to cobble something together if I can! Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Double Haul”