PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Double haul page

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Double haul page

Post by Paul Arden »

A couple of methods here for learning the Double Haul. As can be seen, starting off learning with the Triangle Method really comes to the fore when teaching the Double Haul and fast learners have a better chance of picking it up early on.

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/the-double-haul/

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
WVH.be
Answers: 0

Double haul page

Post by WVH.be »

Hey Paul,

After reviewing the entire starter series of clips for any pointers I missed, I went out on my lunch break practice session.
I progressed from a more side angled stroke to a cast with the loop vertically above the rod tip and my head.
This resulted in a tighter loop, less left to right swinging of the leader and better distance/speed on the shoot. After adding the double haul and increasing speed I tried to shoot some more distance, hubris I know, resulting in a fairly consistent 25 meters out of the rod tip. I'm using a WF7 intermediate line ( 13 meter head, rest running line) on a Scierra memento switch 7 rod. ( pike set-up I had in the trunk of the car)

When I tried to keep more line out for a further cast I consistently got slapped in the face/rod by the end of the leader on the back cast. Is this due to the running line not being able to carry the head over or is something wrong my hauling/stroke timing? I suppose I didn't have this problem earlier because my rod/arm was angled outward and the leader just passed me on the right in an downward loop under the rod.

Any quick fixes you can spot with this limited info?

Thanks,

Willem
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Double haul page

Post by Paul Arden »

This is an interesting one Willem, instructors often come up with different causes for this occurance. Sometimes it might be sag in the fly line at the end of the forward cast. But in your case I'm thinking it's because you're not lifting your elbow while making the backcast. But I'm not sure! Got any video? :)

25m is great by the way! Are you also throwing at targets?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Double haul page

Post by James9118 »

Sounds to me like you're getting hit by the 'dangling end' :blush: Bernd has a very good diagram of what causes this.

Return to “Double Haul”