PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Five Essentials - Straight Line Path of the Rod Tip (SLP)

Moderator: Paul Arden

robmellors
Answers: 0

Post by robmellors »

Paul

Interested in your comment in your app video -"If we were to actually get a SLP of the rod tip, what would actually happen is that the line would hit the tip of the rod and wouldn't get any loop whatsoever". I agree, but it raises a question and that is should the line, on the front and back cast, be travelling directly over the rod tip? Or is there a case for the line (particularly on the back cast) to be offset at a few degrees, so that the line doesn't actually travel over the rod tip? If it should travel directly over the rod tip then particularly on the back cast is there a case for slightly opening the casting arc to allow for the line to clear the tip of the rod (thus the rod not travelling in an absolute SLP). Or is there a case for both a direct and/or offset of the line? Make sense?

Also, when casting in different planes i.e. from the vertical to the horizontal I find it quite difficult (not in the true vertical or true horizontal) to actually bring the line directly over the rod tip (it offsets at the backcast), no matter what size casting arc I'm using. Any thoughts on this one?

Best regards,

Rob Mellors.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I agree with all of that, Rob! The only thing I would add is that one other important technique to avoid collision is to raise the elbow during the backcast and lower /pull down in the forward cast. Oh and you don't even need an SLP to get a collision. Just getting close it and gravity will do the rest!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Five Essentials”