PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Arc to narrow

Moderator: Paul Arden

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Arc to narrow

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

[quote="Paul Arden"

The result, when it happens correctly, is that the loop tails horizontally, the fly cuts in away from the target on the opposite side of the rod leg, and as the tailing loop finally unrolls the fly cuts back across and lands on-side.

Cheers, Paul[/quote]

So... the tailing loop really doesn't unroll completely then?

Is it essentially an underpowered, incompletely unrolled loop, but with the tail caused by too much power during the stroke?

I admit my rod plane is not completely horizontal at the start. More like 45 degrees. The fly comes over the rod leg, but only because I drop the rod to horizontal after the cast to avoid the collision. I'm doing it how it looked on an Italian video... they definitely had a more vertical rod plane than horizontal.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Arc to narrow

Post by Paul Arden »

No the tailing loop unrolls completely and then flips the fly across to the other side.
Attachments
F66423A2-A691-46CF-A7A7-61EC19312228.jpeg
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Arc to narrow

Post by Paul Arden »

Obviously the front of the loop can’t be as tight as that, and/or the loop has some vertical depth too.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Arc to narrow

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally do you have a link to the video pls? It’s possible I’m doing another cast!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Arc to narrow

Post by bartdezwaan »

Love the drawing. Are there sheep in the water? :p
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Arc to narrow

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks dude. I once won a prize for art.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Arc to narrow

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul Arden wrote:Thanks dude. I once won a prize for art.
I don’t doubt that. You are gifted :)
Boisker

Arc to narrow

Post by Boisker »

Mangrove Cuckoo

Arc to narrow

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

That is a great video... much better than the one I saw... where the camera was behind the caster who had an incredibly fast stroke and very short line... on a tiny trout stream with trees all around. About all you could see was the fly kicking over.

But the above video is essentially the way I think I do it.

I am pretty sure it would be suicidal to try that cast starting with a horizontal rod plane if there is a saltwater fly on the end of the leader... which is my usual thing.

It is actually an easier cast than it looks. I was making it much too difficult when I started. Swing the backcast way out, then allow it around to beyond the opposite shoulder, then direct the delivery cast with the beginning of the forward stroke, but at the end push the rod tip to angle the loop toward where you want the fly to hit.

If you try it from the front of a flats boat with someone poling, the cast will not work and they will likely attempt to harm you.

But, If you create a large round loop with a slightly climbing trajectory the leader and fly will cross over and unroll above the settled rod leg.

Jeff Barefoot's diagram had me trying it the way I think Paul is doing it, and I could not get there. I never could get the tailing loop part.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Boisker

Arc to narrow

Post by Boisker »

I think it is what I randomly came across by chance when I was messing about with an overpowered curve on my offside... i’ll have to revisit it and practice (i’ve been busy and very slack with my practice over the summer :whistle: )
Hard to describe- but when I tried to apply a very slight pull back (like I would on my overpowered curve on my natural casting side) something very different started to happen... my pull back was different for some reason, but I have to be honest, I hadn’t really worked out why it was different... but I did like what was happening to the fly :D
I kept meaning to video it as I wanted to see what was actually happening... but Paul’s description of pulling the rod in towards you then out sort of rings true to what I was doing.
I nearly posted a question about it earlier in the summer but couldn’t describe what I was doing... but the line was kicking over like in the video...
If I get chance I’ll video and see if it looks similar

Return to “Tailing Loops”