PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracking correction

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: Tracking correction

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:19 pm Wow I don’t think I’ve ever seen that! How do you think that has occurred? Just to be sure I have this right Gary, the caster is overpowering the cast from inside the rod to outside the line of cast?

Cheers, Paul
Paul,

I will leave it to the theoreticians to explain why the cast curves, as an experimentalist I can only report what I have observed.

But it seems to be very common in beginners or less trained casters, at least around here. Maybe it it is due to heavier tackle?

But... just for fun... make a fist and hold it near your shoulder, then pantomime a punch. Not a fly cast, but a punch. Did you not pronate your fist around until your palm was down?

I think it is a natural body movement when the hand is extended in front of the body? But, not great technique for fly casting, so it is something that has to be trained away from.

Pronating and supinating the wrist during the stroke is how I make 90% of my curve casts, and I have found that when I get sloppy on a regular cast I still tend to that inherent pronation a little bit... and that late curve shows up.

Also, for fun, think about what you are doing when you torque/twist? Are you not just supinating your wrist because you started the stroke with your palm forward? I'll bet you snap your wrist to a stop with your palm facing horizontal? If you let your palm continue further up you will make a really nice positive curve... no?

It seems as if some twist in the rod butt makes the tip deviate, and that changes the inclination of the loop, and a curve in the layout is the result?

Bottom line... if you want a really straight layout, don't twist the wrist???

Seems to work for me.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary, I can certainly see why it curves, it’s just not something I encounter as a cause. I’m trying to think why it is common there. Normally I see the two causes outlines above. Fascinating!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
This is what I think can correct and improve your tracking

Cheers
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Cheers Michal, I’ll look for that.

Great post Phil! The biggest problem I have – and still often have(!) – is that I often finish with the hand in front of the eye. And when I’ve come through off-shoulder this problem is more pronounced. I know this is a common problem for others too and we need to compensate by “steering” to the right.

It’s the same with swimming actually. It’s very common to reach across the front of the head, instead of entering the hand in front of the shoulder. To fix this I had to learn to put the hand in what I thought was the wrong position.

With accuracy I rotate the rod shoulder slightly forwards and tilt the head so that the right eye is directly behind the V-grip and I sight the target through the rod butt section. That’s how I do it, but I know others who intentionally triangulate. When I am struggling to gauge length I tilt the head the other way to do this, or else send the loop off at another angle. When taking shots however there is no time for this and length is less of a problem than alignment anyway. In fact casting a little too far can actually be a good thing because we draw the fly across the path of the fish. Often when taking shots I don’t focus on a target but draw a line.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary,

Absolutely twisting the wrist can result in a deviation from straight tracking and has the curve cast uses described. However when making quick shots, or fly first, I compensate by pushing the hand outwards so that the tip still tracks straight (I’m twisting the other way). Otherwise it won’t work in this case and the fly/line will curve. I do have a Snakehead Curve shot around babies, but I do this by simply tilting the casting plane to 45 degree and no other changes – no pullback for example, which I find difficult to control at full speed).

It’s not that I don’t agree with you that it can be a cause, it’s just not something I’ve seen in Europe, Asia or Australia/NZ. Even amongst the self-taught (and most of us are self-taught). So it’s come from somewhere. Pitching? That’s something that you guys do that we don’t. Is that how you pitch a baseball?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:30 am Hi
This is what I think can correct and improve your tracking

Cheers
Mike
Thank you, Mike, I found this helpful.
G
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

👍👍
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I think it's the back start forward, if the line or terminal is right back and the thrust goes straight forward, the tendency will be to have the tip right in front, probably upward as well.
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

I have the answer to my tracking problem. I have no idea why I do this, but, it should be easy to fix with some practice now I know the problem. My suggestion is to video your stroke from this angle which should reveal what is going on.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/613253722

Thanks
Phil
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve seen a million times worse Phil. There are two ways of doing this. Making microscopic changes to the casting stroke and ingraining them over time. The other is to work between Closed Stance Accuracy, line over tip and Open Stance Distance, picking targets on the horizon.

This is another case of short to long. Just fixing tracking on a 60 or 80’ cast is not nearly as useful as straight tracking throughout all distances.

This is where I get the accuracy rings out :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”