PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stopless.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Stopless.

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:06 pm

Hi Jarmo,

Carry, on Sexyloops anyway, is the amount of flyline excluding leader to the line hand while false casting. So if for example you are false casting a 90’ DT by holding the backing knot in your line hand (extreme example I know, but it clarifies the measurement :p ) then you would be carrying 90’ of line. The leader is ignored.

I know James measures it the same way because we had a chat about it after his shoot measurements FP.

Happy New Year back to you! :cool:

Cheers,
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:13 pm

There is an interesting history behind that by the way. Because about 20 years ago carry was being discussed on the Board using different methods. Some were measuring the amount of flyline outside the tip. Others were including leader. The problem is that when hauling this is constantly changing and leaders can be quite a variable as well! What I think most distance casters, myself included, like about measuring to line hand (and excluding leader) is that it is a) a consistent measurement and b) easily checked because if you know the length of the line then it’s quick and easy to strip measure from your line hand to the backing knot to check your carry. You don’t even need a tape measure.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

jarmo

Post by jarmo » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:35 pm

Paul Arden wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:06 pm
Carry, on Sexyloops anyway, is the amount of flyline excluding leader to the line hand while false casting.
Thanks. I have a strange feeling of deja vu, so I think I should add this to my personal FAQ.

I have watched that video of Tracy's cast
now a number of times. Her technique is close to my heart, because I favour a closed stance. What interests me in that video, in addition to the obvious 119', include the following:
  • Asymmetry in delayed rotation on the forward and backward cast: to me it seems that in that video, rotation is delayed a lot more on the forward cast. With this technique, it is easier to delay rotation (using the wrist) on the forward cast. It would be very interesting to see the symmetry of the loops on the forward and backward casts; perhaps James can describe them for me.

With an open stance, delaying rotation on the backcast is easier for me by "leading with the elbow."

(This property of the closed stance has bothered me a lot, especially after I injured my wrist. Before my injury, I was able to delay rotation on the backcast as well, employing what I called a "negative wrist rotation", and this gave me very tight loops on the backcast. )
  • Asymmetry of direction of haul: on the forward cast, the hauling hand ends up behind the caster, in the direction of the continuation of the rod , basically as far away from the rod hand as possible, while on the backcast it is not so. On the backcast, the hauling hand ends up directly below the shoulder of the hauling hand, sometimes behind the reel on the forward-backward axis.

I have fought with this, trying, on the backcast, to haul as far forward as possible, but it feels awkward. This video suggests that the direction of the haul is not that critical.
  • Tracy is not looking at her backcast straightening. I like that, since I hate trying to look at the backcast in this stance.
  • No body rotation. I dislike body rotation, since it messes up tracking.
Overall, a great motivational video, so thanks again.

barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:03 pm

Hi all!

Unfortunately I may have been a bit too eager before Christmas and am now seeing a physio about an achy shoulder, so I haven’t been able to practice as much. :(

I was out last night and threw my first MED casts over 110 with no wind. I’ve massively improved tracking, timing, and hauling as advised and am getting a lot more comfortable carrying line on the backcast. Using targets is helping a lot. Lifting my elbow into the backcast avoiding the cast being directed at the ground helps, and it might have been this bad habit that has niggled my shoulder.

Return to “Flycasting”