PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Cracking MED

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

barrysthlm
Answers: 0

Cracking MED

Post by barrysthlm »

Hi all,

Is it normal for MED to crack after about 6 months? My lines have cracked with the cracks looking like black rings about 2mm apart. My first line snapped at about 60ft while casting. My second has just developed the cracks.

Is this normal?

Barry
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Cracking MED

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Barry

I have never snapped a MED, so that part doesnt sound normal. The cracking of the coating in the area where you haul the line in and out of the rings while falsecasting a long carry, yup thats pretty normal. Thin coating under alot of stress does that.
Some people really destroys lines (Paul) and other like me, can have a MED for over 10 years, that might be a bit rough on the carry point, but still functions like it should.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

This is why I convert my old MEDs into shooting heads. I've never snapped one mind you, only cut them. Your one that has snapped at 60ft would make a good initial training head.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Time to change the line Barry! It depends how much you cast. 6 months for me is good going out of a fishing line (no algae in the water). A casting line 4-6 weeks.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stefano De Martini

Post by Stefano De Martini »

Since we are talking about MED ... since it needs to be marked for competitions, how long does the laser marking last? To me very little ...
Another thing: have you ever checked the length of each MED? Among all the ones I bought over time I have gone from almost 37m to 35.5m. The international rules are precise: 120 feet. What happens if I buy a MED and it's not 120 feet? I could return it, yes but then the seller laughs at me and it's $ 100. Why don't they laser mark the MED on both sides? Couldn't that be a good idea?
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Yep, they do carck especially with a lot of distance casting. This one this time didn't crack, but start shredding the coating- it still flies 😁
Have a look at the picture on the end of the clip from today.

Cheers
Mike
barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm »

My second one just snapped at 45ft. This is expensive. I’m up in the mountains and they have a limited number of lines and no MED so I’m on an Orvis line on the 4 weight now with a shorter head, which is actually good because it’s really windy up here.

Got my X back before I came up here with new rings so the next MED might last longer.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Barry

How on earth do you snap them?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm »

Hi Lasse,

I just cast, then there’s a crack, and off it flies…

Luckily I was in a boat and could retrieve it before some poor fish took the fly.

The rings on my X where very worn and had serious grooves. They might have been wearing away at the lines.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

That will be it. Those grooves have sharp edges. They will rip the coating off your lines and cut the core if they are sharp enough.

Yours seem pretty efficient at doing both.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting”