PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Trailing loop or tailing loop ?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I was reading this recent post from Gordy Hill, Mark:
MCI’s and CBOG’S have been made aware of the thrust during the past couple of years to insist that candidates at both levels cast for loop control tasks with the rod in the almost vertical plane.

We salt water casters objected to that since we almost never cast that way for many reasons. HOWEVER, the general consensus by the Testing Committees (I was on the CCI Testing Committee for years until I retired from it a few months ago) was that casting in the almost vertical rod plane was to be considered an “instructor style” because they felt that the students could see the configuration of the instructor’s loops more easily. I must agree that that does make sense from a teaching standpoint, but the candidates need to know this.

Unfortunately, many CCI candidates and even some MCI candidates show up for their performance exams without the slightest idea of that.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Examiner training has come on a bit I think and it is made very clear to assessors through the EDP documentation that variations of the rod plane from near vertical and variations of style are acceptable, provided that the casts are demonstrated with efficiency and with correct line configuration on delivery respective to the task in hand.

That's for asssessors and there is nothing in the pre-test rubric that would indicate to a candidate that it has to be vertical either. So, if an assessor requests this, they are travelling slightly off the runway.

All the assessors I know give a fair degree of leeway to a candidate on stuff like this in the early tasks but, as the test goes on, particularly through the accuracy section, it pays to be able to change stance and get a cast to go over the top as close to vertical as you can.

Even so it is not mandatory.

Just make it look cool :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Mark - as you can see I'm out this loop nowadays.! It's great to have it from the horses' mouths. Who else is on the EDP? Questions like this should be referred to you/them :)

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

I know I opened by relating this to the CI test, while it was not my primary focus. My bad, Like I said, I don't throw underslung loops when casting overhead. I would if looking for absolute tightest loops. But in general, I don't, and for the CI, I don't.

I asked about the CI test because I wanted to know whether underslung loops are considered bad form. I would assume they are not. But what is most interesting to me is the lack of information on this concept. Like Lasse wrote on page 1 of this thread, people classify underslung loops as tailing loops (see comments):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy3qLM3EOEI

And, looking at fly casting literature, you can't really blame them. Because the concept of underslung loops is basically missing. Where would people learn to differentiate between an underslung loop and a tailing loop? In this thread? In the last diagram of FFI casting definitions?

No biggie, but I would find it most interesting, and useful, if someone made a video and/or wrote a few words about it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

As far as I'm concerned, Jarmo, a fly fisher should be able to throw loops in all planes using all casting planes (as much as possible anyway :p).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Thanks Mark - as you can see I'm out this loop nowadays.! It's great to have it from the horses' mouths. Who else is on the EDP? Questions like this should be referred to you/them :)

Thanks, Paul
Anyone who is a verified assessor, I know you have to be a member to see the EDP faculty, but if you do a instructor search, you should be able to see if a MCI is an examiner or not. If for example you search out Denmark when looking for an instructor, two of the Danish MCI are also examiners of varying degree.

In short, Mark is a verified examiner, Mike is, Brian Mcglashan is and I am. There might be more members of SL being examiners, but those I know are.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That's excellent. Thanks Lasse and well done guys. It's great to see the IFF do this finally. Would love to hear more.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Morsie and Matt H too.

An underslung loop, as I understand the term anyway, would be one where the fly leg travels beneath the rod leg until it is fully unrolled, an upside down loop.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I've seen a definition somewhere that equates trailing with underslung. Would have been an IFF one. Spey cimmttee perhaps?

Inverted for me would be pendulum. I've never heard it referred to as underslung. (There was a time it was called underhand!).

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Anyway I'm pleased you are on it. Might help it function with common sense.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”