PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

Post by Paul Arden »

Great! I shall power up the MacBook later to get a closer look :)

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker
Answers: 0

Post by Boisker »

Aloha all.... First time on for ages.... busy at work and not much time for fishing or casting... :D need to make time!

So first time back and straight into curve casts again... I hadn’t quite got Maliks svirgolato sorted from earlier in the year and then there’s more to practice :D

I’m sure it doesn’t make a whole world of difference... but would a 9’ faster rod or 8’ more medium rod have any benefits to getting the cast nailed?
Malik

Post by Malik »

Hi Matt,
Difficult to say... I think the more confortable you are with your rod, the easiest it is to obtain what you intend to. So my answer doesn't help a lot... :D
Hope you are doing well
Best Regards
Malik
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

It probably doesn’t matter then Mailik... I’m equally happy with all my core river rods :D
All good over here
Hope you’ve had a good summer and managed to keep away from the Covid ‘madness’
Cheers
Matt
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I can’t talk about all presentation casts, Matt, I’m sure there must be some that counter what I’m about to say :p but generally I find softer rods (to a point) better for presentation casts. I assume that this is because they generate more counterflex for a given force and a lot of the time we utilise this.

Certainly for mends I’d much prefer a softer rod. Mind you it’s not golf and we don’t change rods between casts!

Cheers, Paul

PS welcome back! :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Well... if it’s not absolutely black and white as to which is best I guess it makes sense to practice with the rod I use most often on my local rivers (for dry fly) which would be a 8’4” 4w
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Found another potential video take of the corkscrew:

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep that’s it. Bit of slack in the main line because of the trajectories. I’m pretty sure it was Jason’s father who I first heard about choosing where to place slack, ie in the leader near the fly, or alternatively at the apex of the curve.

That has to do with the angle at which the hooked section descends of course. If the fly is higher than the apex then slack will occur in the leader. Alternatively if the apex is higher, then the slack will appear at this point.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

Yeah. In the vid. the presentation is not good. The "fly" comes down too early and hard. But that is easy to control.

Cheers, Thomas

Return to “Flycasting”