PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Re: The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

To obtain this launch, first perform the forward launch keeping the loop sideways, when the loop passes the tip of the rod, slightly raises the tip and brings it beyond the line to the right (tailing loop), then lowers the tip , returning to the old position, slightly and put back in tension, wait for it to arrive (the wave formed, wave as it were) then lower the tip, if instead you like to win easy, use a short terminal and with the power part longer, make a throw forward, when it comes before it unrolls completely, raise the tip of the rod.😁
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Jarmo,

Yes that’s right. It is however an overpowered curve and needs the correct elements to happen. Ie horizontal loop plane and level trajectory or slightly inclining. What happens with the curve cast is two things - 1 the fly kicks around under its own momentum and 2 a transverse wave travels back from the fly end towards the rod tip after Loop Straight Position. This is how the Overpowered Cast functions.

However with the Corkscrew Cast/Mend an additional feature is added to the cast with a mend being made immediately following the end of the Casting Stroke. Now arguably it’s not going to be a clean as what I’m about to write - because Pull-back is also involved in the mix - but what happens is that because the mend is made early it will run right down the fly leg close to the fly end, where it meets the reflected overpowered wave and together they create the enhanced curve layout.

That’s the theory. However I think the reality is that it’s not purely cast/mend, with a separation of RSP, but rather it’s much fuzzier than this. For example I think that the rod is still bent when we initiate the “mend”. Therefore it’s still part of the Casting Stroke — modified with pull-back — and not technically a mend at this point. Consequently this cast is really Curve Cast / Pull-back / Mend interlapped.

Anyway the point of this - and there is one :p - is that instead of thinking cast/mend you can think cast/pull-back. And then by playing around with the pullback you end up drawing the mend with the rod tip.

Sorry if that’s confusing - I’ve eaten a lot of durian today!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:01 pm Now arguably it’s not going to be a clean as what I’m about to write - because Pull-back is also involved in the mix - but what happens is that because the mend is made early it will run right down the fly leg close to the fly end, where it meets the reflected overpowered wave and together they create the enhanced curve layout.
Wait... Which of the moves is a pullback? The semicircular motion?

I am so happy I had this discussion before I tried this with a line. :)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:D

Because we are moving directly into the “mend” the rod will not have had a chance to straighten. Consequently this is actually pullback!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:59 pm :D

Because we are moving directly into the “mend” the rod will not have had a chance to straighten. Consequently this is actually pullback!

Cheers, Paul
Motion-capture, looking directly at the caster with fly rod, casting hand, and head shown (head is three dots in center). Pretty easy to see what happens when. [EDIT: Seems that you have to click the image to get the GIF to run].
Attachments
cscc_mocapfrontal_2.gif
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks for that Jason. That clears a lot of things up for me.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Jason, that’s a fantastic tool. It would seem to me that there is a significant amount of “pull-back” resulting from the transition from Cast to Mend. If I imagine this is 3D I can see the distinctive S-shape as opposed to Rod Straight.

Hope you are well!! :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

This is reeeaaaalllly quick and dirty, but here's a frame composite of the important part, showing the path of the tip (and the rest of the rod, too). Note that flat-ish sideways bit in the middle. That may be where things get most interesting, both from directional and timing perspectives.
Attachments
cscc_mocapfrontal_all frames.png
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I think that to perform this throw well, you have to think that the line to be moved is the lower part of the loop, while the upper part must have the direction of the point to hit.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

For me it’s far better if the loop is horizontal and possibly climbing. I see three things here, overpowered, the mend and the forced rod unloading.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”