PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Massew
Answers: 0

Post by Massew »

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting sharp angles while doing this cast. The curve usually looks like a question mark (?) or (Ɂ), but I want to look like this (┐). Is it possible? It's a dificult cast to do. I've been working on it by myself for a few years but haven't got the knack of it yet.

I was taught to call it a cast/mend since the first change of direction takes place before the stop and the second after the stop. In case anyone wonders. :)
IFFF CCI
"The motives of fishermen are dreadfully obscure" - David Eddings
Subtropicalspey

Post by Subtropicalspey »

I am pleased to see that another flycaster has found this cast challenging. I agree that it is a cast mend. The original description by Gary Borger said that the hand motions that give the desired layout take place before the stop. I don't think there is enough time during the stroke before the stop to complete the hand motions and so some of it, as you suggest, comes after the stop. I find it helpful to make the cast slowly while visualizing the hand track drawn by Jason Borger in his first book on p. 186, figure 11-5.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

90 degrees hook is no problems, especially with this version of the cast. If the line is not hooking have a look at,

1) The leader should be tapered and not too long - try it with a 9ft leader just to make it work.
2) The loop plane must be horizontal. Even if the rod apparently has a close to vertical plane, you must twist it so that the loop plane is horizontal.
3) The trajectory should be horizontal or inclined slightly so that the end of the line hooks up and not down.
5) Do NOT shoot or slip line!!! Really watch your hands to make sure you are not.

This cast works because the loop is over powered and a) the fly will kick around and b) the excess force when the loop straightens causes a wave to return from the flyline end towards the caster. (This is why there is a small outwards curve on the opposite side of the hook).

My advice would be to practise short - 6m to start. Build up from there.
Another drill - I picked this one up from Lee - is to hook, +90, +45, cast straight, -45, -90 (or 30/60/90 etc).
I practise these casts around targets.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about which cast variation you use to make the line curve 90. Just learn that one, master it, and then learn the variations. I find lower rod angles not only easier to curve, but also more useful for fishing... but there are times when you need curve from closer to vertical. Fortunately there are many variations in this cast for hooking the line end - this is useful for when teaching/learning because getting one nailed down opens the doors for the others.

With regards to Cast or Cast/Mend you would need high speed video to know on a cast by cast basis. This is just instructors putting terminology before teaching. We're a weird bunch sometimes.

Cheers, Paul

PS If you want I can ask Jason to post some advice if you have some questions. Last time he made a couple of videos for us here: http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/inversev.shtml
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

Hi Massew,

the technique that I use in this video, is very similar to the Borger corkscrew :
https://vimeo.com/65036654
Slightly difficult to the other side !

Cheers, Thomas E.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Paul,

Interesting that you describe this cast as overpowered - others who I have asked about this cast have said it's not. What does the original source say?

Cheers, James
Eagle Crest

Post by Eagle Crest »

Jason's book 'Nature of Fly Casting. pg 185 says not a variation of the underpowered curve cast nor is it a variation of an overpowered curve cast. It is the result of two traveling waves, ..., a simple pulse loop followed by a corkscrew-shaped loop. The later he says "... the same amount of energy as would be applied to a normal cast." I am left handed and I can get an extremely tight 90 bend to the right. If I haven't applied such a cast in a couple of months, I practice two to three times and it comes back. If I want to get a cast to the left, that is more clumsy and I have to practice maybe 10-15 times but it comes back. I can use a double haul for both and I shoot line, too. I saw a video of a fellow from somewhere in Asia, in an apartment using a short rod and yarn. He got beautiful square 90-deg bends both ways.

Once learned, it really is easy. The thing is as with many aspect with casting, less-is-more. I would suspect you are trying to make the hand movements to forcefully and exaggerated. As with Paul, I cast around objects like rocks or into little coves along the bank, and the fly lands softly and the fish don't get lined. It's worth persisting until you get it.

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok then I'm doing something different!

Flycasting Definitions
Massew

Post by Massew »

Hi fellas, thanks for your replies.

Paul, you say "This is why there is a small outwards curve on the opposite side of the hook". It is exactly that curve I'm referring to when I say the curve looks like a question mark. So that is alright then? On the other hand Eagle Crest says he gets a tight 90 degrees bend so I take it you're not talking about the same cast.

There's that about the horisontal loop as well. I don't recall Jason Borger writing about that. I got the book but now I'm at work and can't look it up. Also, you say don't shoot or slip line. Are you saying it can't be done or that you should avoid doing that while you are learning? The good thing about the corkscrew cast is that it's possible to haul and shoot line, as opposed to many of the other curve casts. If you are indeed talking about a different cast in some manner, then ignore these questions. :)

Thomas_E, I'll watch your video later. Thanks.

My corkscrew casts are not awful but they can become far better. I will not say anything about hauling because at this point my brain melts at the thought. I can't think of anything more complex in flycasting than doing just that combined with the corkscrew, and I'm not a bad caster.

Good pointers from everyone, thanks again.

Cheers, Massew
IFFF CCI
Massew

Post by Massew »

Paul, contacting Jason Borger is a great idea. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am that his book is finished soon.

Cheers, Massew
IFFF CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I've already sent him an e-mail. The reason you shouldn't slip or shoot line is because this will remove the energy from the returning wave. It's possible to get rid of the little buckle the other side by mending. But I dont think it's important. If the loop is not horizontal then it is a mend only!

Accurate powerful backhand curves I think is one of the most difficult casts. It's almost easier to learn to use the opposite hand.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”