PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

ROF
Answers: 0

Re: The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

Post by ROF »

Thank you for your effort with the videos Paul...will give it a shot this weekend.

You are right Dirk ...the curves are both to my left but the first clip cuts to my left with a roll mend to the right. The second clip cuts to my right with a harder roll mend to the left.
As discussed with ThomasE earlier this year that the second cast is not that easy at greater distances.

I found that with the practise rod everything looks much slower than real life.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve dropped Jason a line. You know I’m pretty sure I remember interpreting Jason’s cast in the same way back around the beginning of Sexyloops. I remember working on the same cast you’re making, Leslie, while living in Turangi, NZ.

I spent quite a bit of time with it but it never really made it from the field to the water for me. Are you in South Africa, Leslie? We have a few Board members from your part of the world!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
ROF

Post by ROF »

Yes I am in South Africa. Been following the board for some time. Meeting up with Dirk rekindled the interest.
Malik

Post by Malik »

Hi Sexyloopers !
This excellent thread about Jason fantastic Corkskrew curve and the Paul's video convinced me to present you two interesting variations on the same general topic.
The first one is a side cast with a hook curve presentation to the left, with slack line placed right at the angle. Great presentation to fish the left bank facing upstream or for a long drag-free drift when your are fishing across the river and want to present the fly before the leader to the fish (excellent for grayling). It's a bit more difficult than a classic reach cast (mend...), but more efficient too (according to me). On my video i'ts not easy to see the line aerial trajectory in S because of the beautiful colors of the autumn. Here is the stuff:

Hook cast to the left with slack :

The second one will come soon and is also a left curve, but coming from a vertical plane with the leader and the fly landing before that the front of the loop lands itself. Really useful for an upstream presentation in fast water.

Hope you will like both of them.

Best Regards

Malik
Malik

Post by Malik »

And the second one :

On both I shoot line

M.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Malik! :) It would be really useful to see a close up of your hands for these casts as well. The first one is the same/similar to Leslie’s video but at distance?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Malik

Post by Malik »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:42 am Thanks Malik! :) It would be really useful to see a close up of your hands for these casts as well. The first one is the same/similar to Leslie’s video but at distance?

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

You mean the second one ? Difficult to say. According to me, the nice Leslie one is a mend as the manipulation of the line occurs clearly after the stop and affects the rod leg. To me, both of mine are more casts than mend, as a the trajectory of the fly leg is determined by what I’m doing somewhere between the MPA and the loop formation. But maybe I’m wrong.

Best regards,

MALIK
Malik

Post by Malik »

Watching again and again the Leslie one it seems to me that he also subtly acts on his tracking just before the stop (his rod tip going slightly to the right and then to the left on MPA). I’m doing the contrary (left then right). On the circular mend my rod tip goes down/upwards and forward (I “push” the rod leg).
M.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s why I would like a closeup :laugh: Tge first one to me looked like a fast spiral mend. Mind you I’m trying to zoom in on my phone!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Malik

Post by Malik »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:47 am That’s why I would like a closeup :laugh: Tge first one to me looked like a fast spiral mend. Mind you I’m trying to zoom in on my phone!
Cheers, Paul
:D
I know, unfortunately you need a pad or even better a PC screen. The first one ("left hook with slack") is actually an half svirgolato/twist cast. Same dynamic - but :
1) I'm aiming my loop in the direction of the water surface (here the ground) and
2) I kill the line tension in the rod leg a) by going forward with the rod tip just after the stop and b) by shooting line in the same time (about 00:40-00:41 on the video), both in order to create the slack at the angle and — above all— to avoid that the residual tension in the rod leg turns the fly to the right (which would be a complete svirgolato).
Best
M.

Return to “Flycasting”