PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:31 pm

But I eat a lot of spinach.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Paul Arden wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:30 pm
All the SL rods are examined properly! I must have broken eight Helios rods. Often when I break a rod casting it is in the butt section, usually above the handle. Sometimes under the cork. I broke a lot of TCRs. They eventually crack at the first ferrule. But that’s different - I would take me a year of distance to wear out a TCR5 or 6. The 8 Helios rods broke in less than 2 hours casting all up, and that’s only because the first one took an hour to break. Most broke in only a few casts.

Cheers, Paul
The helios rods all had the signs of flaws, I remeber the three first ones as I was working and hoping to have a throw after examination... at the time we where done you had broken all three 🤣

And the TCR's all had a habit of getting loose in the ferrules, no Wonder they slowly got destroyed.....

And yeah, you got that squinty eye and bulging forearms syndrome about you 🤣

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Paul Arden wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:30 pm
All the SL rods are examined properly! I must have broken eight Helios rods. Often when I break a rod casting it is in the butt section, usually above the handle. Sometimes under the cork. I broke a lot of TCRs. They eventually crack at the first ferrule. But that’s different - I would take me a year of distance to wear out a TCR5 or 6. The 8 Helios rods broke in less than 2 hours casting all up, and that’s only because the first one took an hour to break. Most broke in only a few casts.

Cheers, Paul

And the TCR's all had a habit of getting loose in the ferrules, no Wonder they slowly got destroyed.....

Cheers
Lasse
OMG, and since 2012 my first WC I,was blaiming myself for bad bad performance when I broke my TCR on a backcast during TD.
I got the one with that bad habit.😎
Cold case closed- thanks Lasse

mike

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 pm

I worked for Guide Fly Fishing in the UK for two years. On the second year we had Scott Rods on the list of rods we were distributing. My favourite was an STS905. Anyway a few years later I met an instructor who had bought my used demo rod, and he asked me what I had done with it, since it had become a soft noodle. :laugh: Maybe I’ve always been hard on gear.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:52 pm

The STS was a soft noodle.... Tip heavy and tip bounce...
And na, I do not believe casting can make a rod soft, we have had that debate before, and debunked it... Where's Magnus when you need him?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:43 am

It most certainly wasn’t! :laugh: And we haven’t debunked that theory!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 am

Lasse-

Impressive tracking with the chicken to avoid hitting yourself in the back of the head. I'm afraid I had to revert to more of a tilted rod to avoid a trip to the emergency room when casting my epoxy shrimp fly. Paul, I have not tried a shooting head yet.

Here is a pic of a couple flies... The epoxy shrimp looks very "shrimpy" in the water. The straw shrimp is an attempt to lighten the fly and it looks ok in the water. The third fly is a large streamer made of craft fur. It's a very effective fly but it presents the same heavy problem when wet because the craft fur holds so much water.

Cheers
Phil

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Very nice looking flies Phil. When you say 10WT, which line are you using? I personally would find a true to weight 10 line a bit light for these flies, but as we know true to weight is getting uncommon these days. 12WT woukd probably handle them but 100’ is about tops. Though I would have to chuck them to see. Incidentally with tackle such as 12WTs I’m much more compact with my stroke. We should probably talk about this at some point, because there are different opinions and it’s not a subject we have dealt much with ie changes in distance stroke according to tackle.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Phil,

There are specialty flylines available for chucking oversize flies. Look at the barstool Sniper or the Barrio Predator.

Be aware that they can be quite a bit overweight for their labeled line number and definitely fall into the "brick on a string" category, but they can get the job done. I have used them for flies somewhat similar to your streamer in size.

You may find that you will have to cast them like a shooting head to get out to 90'.

BTW... you can get a fly size and silhouette like your streamer that will fish/cast much better is you switch to a material like Slinky Fiber instead of craft fur.

Gary M

(Seriously? Still with the "barstool" silliness? Very tRump-ish)
"Technique is the proof of your seriousness"

Wallace Stevens

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm

It still makes me laugh :laugh:

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”