PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lou Bruno

Re: Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Post by Lou Bruno » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:02 pm

Phil Blackmar wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 pm
Lasse-

How far do you throw a 5 MED indoors? What weight rod do you like for distance with 5 MED?

Thanks
Phil
Phil
I just watched your video. I was doing a quick read on this latest post.
How much line are you casting? I'm asking because, watching the video it seems you have a very wide casting arc?
Lou

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi Lou-

There has been an evolution for me within this thread. If you are looking at the video on page 3, post 24, that is when I first started here with Paul. 5 wt line (not 5 MED) and rod probably around 75 ft carry trying maxing out carry and working on distance. If you go to page 20 post 192, that is a 5 MED on an 8 wt rod with 75 foot carry at what was now a max fishing distance (more controlled).

I've stopped working on distance for the time being and have changed focus to things more beneficial to the flats fishing I do here. These include tracking, vertical loop on both back and forward casts, footwork, rhythm, shooting line to specific targets to control distance on the shoot. I've also added casting large heavy flies consistently 90-100 ft when wading in the surf, shortening stroke for heavy flies, etc.

My tracking is much better but is still inadequate at max speed. Especially the back cast which I haven't figured out yet. The forward cast is getting betting but I have to spend all the time working on the back cast because it's inferior to the forward cast.

My personal best with NO wind aid was 109-110 ft with the 5 MED. Consistent in the 105 range.

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:18 am

Incidentally Bill Gammel has a drill flicking car keys over his shoulder on the backcast. It might save your walls. :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:58 pm

My personal best with NO wind aid was 109-110 ft with the 5 MED. Consistent in the 105 range.
Phil, that's excellent :cool: More distance comes from longer carry. Speed will come from the wrist snap in the right place, and a faster haul at the right time to apply velocity to the line, rather than moving the line through the rod :)

All the best

P.S.

Happy New Year!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi Paul-

Happy New Year to everyone.....

I took the 9wt Rio line off the 9 wt and put it on a 10 wt. I then took an 8 wt line that felt heavy and put it on the 9 wt. I worked on shortening my stroke. Yesterday I went surf fishing and didn't catch a darn thing, BUT, I never hit the waves with the fly line when casting.....And the wind was blowing pretty hard too....

Thank you thank you thank you
Cheers
Phil

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:26 pm

Your files look to be quite heavily built and natural. If so, that might be why they hold a lot of water. Try going to full synthetic materials. Your flies will not hold water, will be lighter, and even sink faster. The old adage that less is more can be very true with flies.

Wallace-

I used a combination of synthetics with these. Good shape, not a lot of action but they don't hold water, much easier to cast and look good in the water...Going to try them in the bays when I can...Haven't found the material for the tail yet.....

Thanks for the advice...Really helped
Phil

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 am

That’s great and happy new year, Phil!! :) :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Phil Blackmar wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:26 pm
Your files look to be quite heavily built and natural. If so, that might be why they hold a lot of water. Try going to full synthetic materials. Your flies will not hold water, will be lighter, and even sink faster. The old adage that less is more can be very true with flies.
Wallace-

I used a combination of synthetics with these. Good shape, not a lot of action but they don't hold water, much easier to cast and look good in the water...Going to try them in the bays when I can...Haven't found the material for the tail yet.....

Phil
/Users/philblackmar/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/2/225B02D9-18DC-45AC-8044-42B41D7B9F71_1_105_c.jpeg

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Wallace-

Phil
flies surf.jpeg

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi Paul-

When making a 60-90 ft cast, do you throw the line with your right hand or position/bend the rod with the right hand and create distance/loop with the haul?

The reason I ask is to more I do with my right hand the more I struggle at times. When I try to throw the line or loop with the right, my loop opens up and I can get a tailing loop if not careful. But, if I just bend the rod with the right hand and use the haul to create speed and the loop, I get a better or more consistent result...

Thanks
Phil

Return to “Flycasting”