PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Video of Piffen casting

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

piffilus
Answers: 0

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

Hi everybody, Piffen here. Since I am planning to go fishing with Paul in march, he has told me to practice and film it and post it here. So I did shoot some video. Coming home watching it was quite embarrassing but made me understand why I haven't managed to cast over 24,30 meters. My own layman's analysis it that I use too much wrist, especially on the back cast, where it sometimes seems that I almost hit the ground with the rod tip... It's even more embarrassing showing it here but I sure do need some help here.

Please tell me how to shape up my casting so he doesn't become fed up with me after 5 minutes and be able to cast and catch some Giant Snakeheads and Gouramis.

Can someone please tell me how to embed a youtube clip since it doesn't seem to work as I did it...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2ekTFYpHFT4[/youtube]
James9118

Video of Piffen casting

Post by James9118 »

My first observation is how much power you're putting in - it looks like lots! Have you tried minimum power type exercises?

James
piffilus

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

No I can't say that I have done that. So I should cast softer I take it? I'll try that next time I am out practicing.
Lasse Karlsson

Video of Piffen casting

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Not sure Paul has fixed the youtube bug, or the vimeo one that prevents showing embedded clips on mobile devices :D

But it's just the code that should go in the embedded brackets = 2ekTFYpHFT4

But linking to it usually works

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ekTFYpHF ... e=youtu.be

And I'm with James, less power, lot less power. And your own, less flop on the backcast. Last, in the next clip, try to be as smooth as possible. Less staccato, more flow :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Video of Piffen casting

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Piffen,

Yep for the next video try making it look like you are using almost no force at all!

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/minimumpower.shtml

You have to feel for the line! Which line are you casting by the way?

I'd like to see your cast filmed closer to the body. In particular I would like to see your rod hand. Are you gripping like you would a tennis ball? Tracking looks good from what I can see and haul timing too. I would like to see closed stance accuracy. Unless you are casting over 80ft I wouldn't recommend Open for now (unless you are watching the backcast as a drill).

A good tip is to feel for the line and sling it. It's the line you want to feel (in your mind) not the rod. A good cast is like throwing a potato off the rod tip. Or possibly tapping a drum :cool:

Cheers, Paul

PS I think you're going to catch a big Snakehead!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

Hi Paul!

I think what makes me us all that power and large strokes is that I become stressed out, thinking that the line will fall to the ground, but seeing it from the outside I understand that I actually press down the rod leg closer to the ground, the more power I use. So I'll certainly try to minimize power so I don't look like an angry copper beating someone up.

I'm using the Thunderbolt line that came with the rod and I believe I use the tennis ball grip, maybe with the thumb on top sometimes, I'll think more of that next time I'm out.
I've been casting with the open stance because it has felt most natural for me, though I will practice with the closed stance from now on. Do you have some tips on how to practice accuracy, like distance to targets and so on?

I watched the minimum power videos and I'll try to emulate that. It's such a small movement compared to my wielding.

I don't know if I can shoot any video until saturday since sunset comes very early now and it's almost dark when I quit my job.

Yes I really hope to catch a big Snakehead and hopefully a big Gourami too! :yeahhh:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Video of Piffen casting

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Piffen,

Yes there is actually an accuracy casting video, it just hasn't gone live yet! Instead of using less power try to use not enough in a very small arc.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

Thanks for the tip Paul. I've got the APP so I have just watched it. I hadn't watched that before actually. But I have purchased everything on it. Any other episodes you think I should concentrate on?

Happy days
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Video of Piffen casting

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes everything in part 1 as well as accuracy. Very soon I'll have ten specific casts for you to practise and learn (as well as the Snakehead shots of course!).

I would like to see a video of your PUALD cast with 9m of flyline outside the tip.

Cheers!

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

OK, I've got some studying and practicing to do. About the PUALD cast, any specific angle you'd like to see it from? I'll see if I have the possibility to do it on water or if have to make do with casting on grass.

Cheers mate!

Return to “Flycasting”