PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Video of Piffen casting

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

piffilus
Answers: 0

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

Congrats to your 9000:nd post! I really hate that it is so dark this time of year which makes it hard to practice in the weekdays and see what I am doing at the same time, add the cold to that.

Do you mean that I should throw a tight loop so it lands without unrolling then? I can say that I have watched those videos several times. But since I am not having someone beside me when I practice telling me to do it slower and softer I haven't seen it before I come home watching it. I will film and analyze at the time I am practicing from now on. I'll also see to that I have a lot of time when I practice next time so I can be more relaxed in body and mind than last time.
James9118

Video of Piffen casting

Post by James9118 »

Do you know what a 'dolphin-nosed loop' looks like? A characteristic dimple just behind the loop in the fly-leg - you can cast these with tight, low power loops. That way you get an instant visual indication of whether you've backed off the power enough.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Video of Piffen casting

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks! This Board version is moderately young! Later in the week I plan to get the previous Board up and running again - it's a wonderful resource in itself. I have no idea how many posts I made on that Board. Unfortunately the Board prior to that one has a corrupt database :(

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

Thank you James, I haven't seen one but I will do my best to make dolphin-nose loops.
piffilus

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

Hmmm, I've been out casting in both water and on land but watching the videos, I don't even dare to post them really. Well I notice a little progress, I think, but I still use too much power and have a flooooppy wrist. I might make a medley of it for you to see but it's really embarrasing to put up an filmed from an awkward angle when I was at the water. Anyway I'll try to swallow my pride and show you some of it tomorrow. I think I have the theory of it, I just have to be able to put in to my arm and that's the hard part. Merry Christmas to you all!
piffilus

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

I shot some video yesterday. I hope it shows a little progression anyway. I'd like to think that I don't use as much force now. I watched the Peter Hayes video on PUALD, where Paul can be spotted for a second in the background, and I tried to use the squeeze in the lift that he shows there. But still have that sloppy wrist. Does anyone know any exercise to train the muscles to make it sturdier? Or should I grip the rod differently?

https://youtu.be/ufiAYT_hN_o

Happy New Year everyone!!

Cheers Piffen
Dag Midtgard

Video of Piffen casting

Post by Dag Midtgard »

Start watching your rod tip when casting... follow how the energy can be pushed down in the blank, and start to try to feel the energy in your rod!

It is first when you can feel the energy building up in your rod, that you are in a position to control the release, and get nice, fishy casts and presentations...
Dag Midtgard

Video of Piffen casting

Post by Dag Midtgard »

When you cast you must involve your whole body, and you MUST watch the loop and you tip... now, it looks like you are not interested in what you do, there is no feeling and live in your casts! Start your cast slower, watch your tip loading, and release the energy...

Also;
1) start your casting with your wrist higher, at shoulder hight
2) increase your working range of motion by at least 50%, without lowering the tip in the back cast... try to get the tip to always go higher and higher...
piffilus

Video of Piffen casting

Post by piffilus »

Hi Dag and thanks a lot for your feedback. That is some good points and tips that I will work on.

Cheers Piffen
Dag Midtgard

Video of Piffen casting

Post by Dag Midtgard »

Thank you Piffen! Always nice to help!

Thing about these two words; casting vs moving...

I have many times been thinking that I am moving the line with the help from a spring, called a flyrod, in a slow controlled motion, to throwing/casting the line with a quick motion...

A very helpfull thing to do is to close your eyes and start moving the rod, and start to feel the line through the rod...

do this in 10-12 sets of 30 seconds,

Then draw circles with the rod tip, then draw elipses, then figure 8 circles... draw in a slow controlled manner, actively using your wrist and tip of the rod...

Cast with feelings... not power...

Return to “Flycasting”