PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Line selection for switch rod, what do you use?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Edwin Steffens
Answers: 0

Post by Edwin Steffens »

Hi all,

I have bought me a switch rod and am now in the process of selecting a line for it. Seems that I can divide the usage of a switch rod in two main groups:
1 people who use it with speycasting and have selected a shooting head for it
2 people who use it occasional for a single hand overhead cast and have selected an integrated shooting head for it

Makes me wonder what flyline you all use, and why. And I would appreciate if you mention the manufacturer and type.

Gz. Edwin

oops maybe this belongs in tackle forum?
Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet »

hi Edwin,
http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

as for your points 1&2, it's pretty safe to say that no one will be satisfied with the same line for both styles. best to get another and lighter line for overhead.
why anyone would want to use a switch rod to cast one handed overhead is beyond me but that's for another discussion...

cheers,
marc
cesarwf

Post by cesarwf »

hi!

You have a lot to choose right now, but for me Royal Wulff Ambush it´s awesome. :sorcerer:
Is Sex Dirty? Only If It's Done Right.
Edwin Steffens

Post by Edwin Steffens »

Thx guys much appreciated!!
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

There are a few line-systems on the market right now that I'd recommend. One is the Rio Scandi Short VersiTip, which is a short, exchangeable tip tip shootingheads that casts really well, overhead as well as spey. I use this system af lot on my various twohanders.

If you're "only" after a floater, Rio's Switch is also a great line, great balance, flies beautifully, turns over even big flies quite well. Some find it slightly long in the head, but it really performs well casting both spey and overhead style.

Another is Guideline's new switch line (Guideline Multi Tip Switch), also with interchangeable tips. Great line, well balanced and also does well casting in both styles.

Guideline's PowerTaper Compact RTG in the "switch-weights" are also very good and come from floating to sink-very-fast.

Hope this helps!

Lars
Prinsviggo

Post by Prinsviggo »

Edwin Steffens wrote:Hi all,

I have bought me a switch rod and am now in the process of selecting a line for it. Seems that I can divide the usage of a switch rod in two main groups:
1 people who use it with speycasting and have selected a shooting head for it
2 people who use it occasional for a single hand overhead cast and have selected an integrated shooting head for it

Makes me wonder what flyline you all use, and why. And I would appreciate if you mention the manufacturer and type.

Gz. Edwin

oops maybe this belongs in tackle forum?
Hi Edwin, what are you going to do with that line?

I normally pic lines after situation, which basically means flies or waters, sometimes casting technique but never rods.

IMHO, rods respond to masses of lines and acceleration. Not to tapers, brands or colors. That way I go backwards in my search for the perfect match.

Heavy flies, steep front taper and short leader. Small flies the other way around.

And for technique

Speycasting (which means change of direction to me), long front taper and mass under the rod tip. Distance, a shooting head for fast delivery or gigantic rear taper for delayed turn over and long carry.

Finally, Isn't a switch-rod developed for single and double hand casting (I really don't know, to me it's a compromise)? First thing might be deciding how to use it?

Cheers, Staffan
Edwin Steffens

Post by Edwin Steffens »

Thx Lars great advise indeed.

Hi Staffan,
Prinsviggo wrote:Finally, Isn't a switch-rod developed for single and double hand casting (I really don't know, to me it's a compromise)? First thing might be deciding how to use it?
Totaly agree with you on selecting a line for single handers but for double or switch I think it is a other game. In double hand casting I would chose a line with my casting style, mine is mainly underhand casting wich works best with shootingheads imo.

Indeed switch supposed to cast single hand and double but in my experience single hand casting a switch rod with overhead casts is not my way think you need to be build like a gorilla to make this happen :D . Was curious what other people used. Am not keen on these integrated shootingheads and since I use it mainly for spey casting I might aswell go for a shootinghead system was considering the rio short scandi head like Lars his advise.

thx all
Prinsviggo

Post by Prinsviggo »

I see, that way I can't help you. I only have one switchrod and its a Loop cross 7107-4 and I have barely tried it. I will though, asa ice melts and sea trout returns to my waters. Spring is late.

Cheers, Staffan

Return to “Flycasting”