PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod and line for MCI test

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

borkursmari
Answers: 0

Post by borkursmari »

Hi all,

For you who have taken the FFI MCI test or similar or are planning to, what rods and lines (type and weight) did you or are you going to use?

Leader setup has it's own thread so we'll leave that alone for now ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Borkur

Did we meet in Piteå?

I used a Tcr 590 and a MED 5 and a 9 foot SA trout 0x leader. Today I would use a line with a head length that fits the casts (it isn't long) and any stick that looks pretty.

What would you use?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Borkur,

I used an XP5 and a MED5. Nowadays I’d use the HT Instructor 6 and either a MED6 or Thunderbolt6. I used a RIO 9ft Leader 10lb point.

The important thing when it comes to line choice is that the examiners can see it. It makes a significant difference when teaching with a rod that students can see too IMO.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
borkursmari

Post by borkursmari »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replys. Yes Lasse, we met in Piteå in 2011, I'm curious how you remembered! Stefan hosted me and my friend at the local fish club and I passed my CI at that event. Now I'm looking at doing my MCI next year and am trying to suck up any knowledge and information you guys possess, that's how it works right ? :)

Regarding equipment, exam says 7wt maximum, so would one use that instead of a 5wt as it could handle e.g. wind and longer line carry without hauling with more ease? I'm not sure, I've heard multiple opinions, I've used mainly a 5wt for all teaching and am really fond of the lightness and agility of a nice stiff 5wt.

I'm going to test out some nice rods this week, 5, 6 and 7wt and see what feels best. My gut feeling is that I'll be using a 6wt fast action coupled with a relatively long head fly line (still haven't decided) with not too long of a front taper, MED, Rio Gold Tournament, Loop Opti Distance, Thunderbolt . . . . Leader still to be tested out and decided upon.

Rgds, Börkur
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I sat for my MCI last year with a HT6 Instructor rod and two lines: The Thunderbolt and a Snowbee Rollcast Instructor line (6wt orange). (I didn't pass the exam.)

I was given advice later that would probably see me use the standard HT6 on my next attempt. My Instructor rod is very tippy - which I love - but my standard HT6 is a little bit slower in its action (not as tippy), which should give me a better result in my accuracy tasks. One of Australia's best casters (a former world champion) opined that the HT6 Instructor really wants to be cast with a haul to get the most from it, which is exactly how I fish. He told me I'd be better served by a rod with a slower action for that task, since no hauling is allowed. The two 50' accuracy casts were my main downfall, failing both.

When I next sit my exam, I'll probably just use the Snowbee line for all tasks. It has a 60' head, the first 40' of which is taper. I do like the way it feels when I'm casting it. It's perfect for the water tasks and these were by far the hardest things for me to learn leading up to the exam. Getting the right line was the key to making them click.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Are they the same builds Graeme?

Cheers,,Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Yep, same builds. There are minor variations in the bend profile with the unpainted one bending a little deeper down the blank with the same force input.

I had both with me in Elizabeth Beach. All comers preferred the unpainted one. I prefer the painted one.

Both are quite different to the weird blank we had a cast with while you were here.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Are we being serious here?

A very good caster from down under once told me, the line never lies to the rod, the caster does.
I dont believe that a slight difference in bend profile makes more than a slight feel difference, its a piece of burnt plastic, it has absolutly no preference for line velocity :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That shouldn’t be. It would be interesting to CCS them. There are always differences between blanks of the same model, but they shouldn’t be that much different. For me the white HT is slightly slower.

Next time when I’m over we will figure this out :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

We can play but I'm very happy with both versions. Fishing with the grey one is lovely and showing off - er "instructing" - with the white one is perfect. :D

I think it's just that little bit of variability creeping in in a nice way.
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting”