PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Angular Momentum

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lee Cummings
Answers: 0

Re: Angular Momentum

Post by Lee Cummings »

Thanks Graham but I’m very sorry as it is too late to carry out the requested changes today.

The one which when overhead cast has the tightest loop and finishes fastest is the one that the wrong way round. Both have an identical section of 9ft coated running line acting as a leader.

Cheers
Lee
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

So in other words the bullwhip should be better off reversed?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

If would be interesting to see both of the lines shot Lee, to see how/if turnover is delayed.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Second view with frame by frame, looking fantastic! No need for the coloured flies or the leaders now.

I see the reversed head has a tighter rod leg and a violent kick in the line as the "bulb" passes through the loop. The loops are tighter on the reversed heads in all overhead casts. The roll casts fail on the reversed head.

The high speed casts show delayed rotation of the loop on the reversed heads. The regular speed casts have pretty much equal loop roll out speeds.

The reversed head flicks the end of the line quite violently, spraying water (?) as the loop hits the end of the line.

I like that video a lot. Thanks for making it Lee.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

There’s lots of interesting things here, the rear weighted set up wins the roll out race but the front weighted finishes stronger. Both seem to bounce back the same distance and land at the same time.

Having the weight at the front I believe offsets tension gradient and assists in keeping the portion of line between the rod tip and (the bulb) tighter, I studied this with videoing many years ago when transverse waves were the topic, in so much as only concluding the line (beyond the bulb) came through differently.

Cheers
Lee
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

I am going to repeat this exercise shortly after my tea (include the different coloured flies and hopefully capture shooting line also.
Will

Post by Will »

Fascinating Lee, great stuff!

Great to see how the reversed head loop on the fast casts seems to travel slower before kicking violently.

And then even more interesting that there’s not much difference on normal speed casts.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

I have an issue with that first video, the overall length of one of the set ups was 4cm longer than the other.

So I have trimmed it down so both are the same length and repeated the exercise.

The video is in the tech forum.

Cheers
Lee

Return to “Flycasting”