PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

basic question regarding tracking

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: basic question regarding tracking

Post by Paul Arden »

Let us know how you get on Limpe! I really can’t remember what I talked about in the Accuracy video but I’m sure it’s all in there :)

https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/accuracy/

I reckon target accuracy is the best practise for tracking and it’s pretty fun too. I’ve got some accuracy targets and next month when I have my battleship boat afloat I’ll fix some floodlights and throw at targets every evening. It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to learn to go around clean. Currently I throw around 40-50. Best I think was 62. So I have a lot of improvement to do! :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
steelehead
Answers: 0

Post by steelehead »

... just browsing old threads, well I guess I'm facing a similar problem.

When casting single-handed (over the top) I do not have tracking problems, however, when introducing hauling I generally tilt my rod sidewards and end up with curve casts on the back. I tried to fix it by "shooting line on the backcast" and checking the direction, but this did not help too much - only to realize the problem persists.
Another suggestion was using a different stance - call it "reversed"/"twisted" open stance - as a right-handed caster the right foot forward - was said to cause less rotation in the upper body and there fore less curvy backcasts.

Some more suggestions for things to try out - apart from Pauls accuracy drills?

Thanks, Chris
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

If we are moving into distance here with a longer carry, then I always pick the target before I make the casting stroke. Which in turn means that I don’t watch the loop roll out because I’m busy focusing on my next target.

Now I don’t (rarely) do this while fishing unless I’m simply covering the water. If I’m aiming for a moving target it goes without saying that you must keep your eyes on the fish.

However in training and in distance casting competition this is the way to do it, and over time - much time! - it will happen naturally without having to always look at the targets.

One of my favourite casting drills is carry. Find an elevated position - for me that has been truck and even house roofs. Currently it is my boat roof. And cast for a minute or so with your longest carry. All the little variations in your stroke - power allocation - can be seen in the loop. I had a few spots for this. Height is good. Stuff like cliffs and mountains are amazing to cast off. Just be careful you don’t fall over or off then :D

Cheers, Paul
Attachments
A82D3C7B-85A3-4209-8648-02BC0DD79E52.jpeg
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

This is something to try indoors with the lights off, seriously. Holding a laser pointer instead of a rod, go through your off-vertical casting stroke. Watch the light on the ceiling and see if it follows a straight line. If not, see where it deviates from a straight line and work on that without a rod.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

There's an app for tracking made by Ulrik Røjezons son like ten years ago, I think its still there, called "flycasting tracker"
Its basicly two lines and a dot, you hold your smartphone in hand, and make your cast, if the dot hits the lines, phone will vibrate, lines can be screen wide or narrower for a more difficult excercise :-D

There's also Steve Rajeff s bloody knuckles, stand close to a wall, and make your cast along it, if your tracking is of, you'll hit the wall, go for a rough one if you want to hurt ;-)

And last, look at the topleg when casting, if it starts swinging, you have to adjust, mostly its tiny adjustments, but looking at the loop is the fastet way I know to improve tracking.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
steelehead

Post by steelehead »

Thanks Carol and Lasse for your suggestions!
I already knew the bloody knuckle method, but I guess I'd have to borrow someones rod for that... guess I'll try to watch the topleg swinging - sounds practicable.

Cheers, Christian
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

I would also suggest watching yourself in the mirror with a rod butt and practice grooving a good stroke for at least 20 mins a day. IMO that's one of the best for fixing your tracking 😀 or casting along a contractors tape. Make sure the tip is directly over the tape.

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Return to “Flycasting”