PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pull the line first.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Pull the line first.

Post by Paul Arden »

Looks good to me; you appear to have excellent tracking. I can also see what you are trying to do Ivan!

I have certainly tried something ‘similar’ in the past - a long time ago now - and I had some good results. The problem was they were also inconsistent. Another way of looking at it, is virtually all of the Stroke has become Slide, which in turn means that you lose some of the benefits of Drag.

When I’m back on the lake later this week I will have a go with this technique again.

Thanks Ivan!
Paul

Incidentally it’s one way of dealing with a very strong tail wind that doesn’t allow the haul return.

Slide and Drag definitions - http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/definitions2.shtml
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Bianchetti Ivan

Scusa il ritardo 😁🙏
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Bravo Ivan, ce lai fata. Saluti.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:28 pm

Shooting heads I think are different but I’ve often heard casters talking about the loop looking like a number 7 and “floating out” giving their longest casts.

Don’t get me wrong, I think line speed is important but it’s also quite possible that optimum speed is not simply maximum speed. Something to play with anyway.

Cheers, Paul
A line is a line is a line....

Difference between a longbelly WF and a shootinghead made from the head of a longbelly WF attached to thin shooting line should really tell you the difference is the shooting line vs. the running line.

We are after all throwing a line, and then some try to shape a loop and waste energy, others know a loop will happen anyway and that it's the bit before that really matter..

But please just keep throwing slower, makes it asier to beat you 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

There's some great topics being discussed recently :)

As others have mentioned, Ivan, almost all of your forward stroke is basically slide, so you 'can' risk not being in contact with the end of the fly line.

Personally when i cast like that i do incorporate slide and haul feed to reposition my line hand by my face, so i can get a good haul on the forward cast. When i use slide, i stop sliding when my rod hand is by my body, then i change into drag to get the line moving in the forward direction, and then haul right at the end of the stroke, this is just more comfortable to me.

The feeling of the rod hand (for me) is like having a tea mug in your hand. If you hold the cup by the handle horizontally, and flop it at the end of the stroke on the back and forward cast, this is the feeling i have when casting like that. :)

I hope that makes sense with the translator. :) i would add that if it's not giving you a problem, then don't worry about it!

All the best

Nick

P.S.

Nice casting!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Bianchetti Ivan

Hi Nick
I am convinced that the best advice comes by looking at the worst throws, that's why I chose the worst part in the movie, Paul listed the problems he had and you yours, it's true I have had them all, the only way to solve them someone is leaving first, other ways I have not found, this is not my natural launch, here I fought against myself, to fight muscle memory, thank you !! (who does not try does not improve 😁)
Bianchetti Ivan

Nick
I mean, you listed my mistakes, 😂☺️
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 am

I’ll tell you another interesting observation, John, most distance casters use around 80% effort on the first cast and often it’s the longest!

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

I have heard that observation from a few casters, also the observation that their longest cast is the one after cast after their time has expired. i.e. when the judge calls time and they have all their line at their feet ready for another cast. Most do not reel their retrieved line back onto the reel, rather, they have a few false casts and a delivery and then wind their line in. Some say that cast is often their longest.

Now take my advice with a grain of salt because my best cast is usually the one before my first cast :( .

From a power, or effort application viewpoint, I want maximum power on all casts. Been there with having the my best conditions and other variables come together on my first cast and regretted not applying maximum effort. I suspect Olympic throwers deliver their first throw with maximum effort as they would with all throws.

I would advise identifying your court's chosen cast direction and cast trajectory just before you cast.
If that is not feasible, use the first one or two casts for that. Risky, but that can be mitigated against by training notes.

Given all things being equal, I suspect those who record their best cast with 80% effort do so because other factors, physical and mental, negatively impact subsequent casts. I do not mean to be a smart arse with that statement, I say that based on personal experience.

I view it as being like that basic coaching and training tenet, it is always best to slow down now to speed up later.
When you are learning technique, we cast at less that maximum effort. Any movement is always easy and relaxed at sub optimal effort, but the best are both fluid and relaxed at maximum effort. Often their first cast is performed before the they start worrying about all the negative aspects of competition e.g. elapsed time, who has cast before them and what score did they throw, who is yet to cast and what score may they throw, was their last cast far enough etc etc etc. They may be more relaxed and for their first cast than they are for subsequent casts, hence your observation. However, I think the best casters are in the zone for their first cast and that means they can deliver at optimal speed and power with cast 1. If that transpires to be their best cast so be it, but for the best, I suspect between their first cast and last cast, nothing changes with respect to effort .

By the way, I am still waiting to speed up,

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It would be very interesting I think to compare this video to a video of your “normal” distance throw, Ivan.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”