PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Timing - just the fly line, or the leader and fly line?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Re: Timing - just the fly line, or the leader and fly line?

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies! I think that this is perhaps the easiest of the 5 essentials. Yes i do think it is down to age, Mangrove, and perhaps the individual characteristics of the student, how they learn, and even what profession they are in will dictate what 'phrase' works best for them. :)

Thanks for your explanation, John. I'm please that you enjoy reading about my ramblings :laugh:

If i'm carrying around 80' of line, i absolutely cannot see end of the line very well, but i seem to know when to come forward (after years of practice admittantly). I do find it fascinating that the difference between thinking and acting is quite different. I did have this discussion with Paul, and i think a good one for timing is to do Joan's circles 8's and straights to start off with, especially if they are waiting too long, but even for students that don't wait long enough. If they still don't get it then the triangle method is good.

What fixes do you guys use for students with poor timing?

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I personally wait until the leader straightens. I’m certainly after Loop Straight (the boing) even in competition casting. There might be some other stuff going on prior to this but I would certainly never begin the Casting Stroke until the leader has straightened under normal circumstances.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Also my impression - at least for T120 I found the same, I really need to wait else I'm loosing several meters. Something for further investigations!
Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 pm I personally wait until the leader straightens. I’m certainly after Loop Straight (the boing) even in competition casting. There might be some other stuff going on prior to this but I would certainly never begin the Casting Stroke until the leader has straightened under normal circumstances.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

So...

I quickly reviewed the definitions, but I could not find "the boing"!

But I get it.😊

Out of curiosity, Paul, is the boing pre, during, or post slide?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary,

Sometimes I think it’s difficult to know, particularly because we might (should!) be looking the other way! What I’m pretty sure about is that LSP/boing occurs during Slide after a fully straightened arm backcast (Drift often occurs as the loop is unrolling). With close range casts I simply wait until everything is straight before my next cast. I’ve always imagined there is a little bit of “hang time” when everything straightens; we certainly see and use this on the forward cast when hovering over targets, and when I’ve watched my backcast it’s the same.

I once had a friend call out LSP so I could time my forward casting stroke to coincide with the boing (actually he wanted me to do this because he thought my timing was off). Not only was this much earlier than I normally cast but when I managed to time the CS to the Boing funny things happened to the loop - Tails and other strange shapes that you don’t want to see.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I wait for the train to make the whole curve before accelerating, even the last carriage 🙂.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That was easy for me to understand, Ivan :D

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Nice one, Ivan! I like that :D
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

😁

Return to “Flycasting”