PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Haul lock and twisting rings

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore

Haul lock and twisting rings

Post by nicholasfmoore » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi All,

Just out of interest, which way do people orient their rod rings when they are casting with a 4 piece rod?

So for example, imagine you are holding the rod out straight in front of you with the reel hanging down.

Do you prefer to twist the top three sections so the rings are sticking out to the left (twisting clockwise) either 45 or 90 degrees, or do you prefer to twist the top three sections so that the rings stick out right (twisting counter clockwise). Advantages and disadvantages? I know for old two and three piece rods i used to hold the rod so that the whole reel was sticking out the the right hand side. :)

I'm no Hercules, but i've nearly ripped off the guide of a redington form hauling with the rings facing to the left with a full line :laugh:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Haul lock and twisting rings

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Recoils and Snakes: outside to 45 degrees
SICs throughout: in line.
Torzites: stripping guide inside to 60, tip outside to 45, middle ringed section splitting the two angles. (It’s a weird stripping guide frame angle).

Inwards at 90 is just too destructive for me!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi Paul,

Thank you for that! Did you mention that you have literally ripped guides off the blank if you cast inwards to 90? :cool:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

James9118

Post by James9118 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:51 pm

90 degrees to the left for me. Nothing to do with haul lock, which is largely a myth in my opinion, but simply to try and keep the line off the blank.

James.

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:26 am

I rarely use anything except SiC guides.

James, it's not a myth. It used to happen to me. It was the weirdest feeling when I went to make a forward cast and the line was locked in place.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:03 am

Locks for me. I can’t cast snakes aligned straight.

I have hauled the stripping guide off, but what really put me off was the feeling of the rod sometimes twisting on the forward cast - I imagine the rod can be twisted through 270 degrees if the loop is slightly canted, as in a crosswind for example - and breaking three rods one weekend while trying this. That may have been coincidence but it put me off :D

I’ve fished my rods aligned this way for well over 15 years now.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:20 am

I align my left hand to the passers-by, I don't do the opposite.

James9118

Post by James9118 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 am

I've snapped a number of fly lines whilst hauling for distance, on one particularly annoying occasion this was a brand new MED :glare: . However, the slow-mo video capture of my 'lock' has always shown that the problem comes from lower down, i.e. the line getting trapped in the handle area.

Paul, I've never understood your logic for turning the rings out to the right with you being a right hander. Surely if you want to avoid producing a torque within the blank then having the attachment point, i.e. the rings, on the opposite side to the direction of the force, i.e. to the right side with a left-handed haul, in my mind will make matters worse. Unless of course you haul straight down the blank, in which case it wouldn't matter which side the rings are on.

At distance casting events I've never even heard 'haul lock' discussed, and we all know that distance casters love an excuse :D, so I'm surprised when others say it is so prevalent. Do any of you have slo-mo video of haul lock happening? Do you inspect your snake guides to see where the wear is? Perhaps a comparison of the wear between someone who turns the rings to the right versus someone who turns the rings to the left would be interesting? I know the wear on my guides does not appear to be close to the pinch-point of where the snake ring touches the blank.

James

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi James,

The next time someone visits me with snake rings I'll try to remember to video it. It's not just occasionally for me, but I expect it to happen. I think it's timed to the late haul. Casting 2-piece rods with snakes is a real problem for me and I grip the rod at 45 degrees. I haven't tried twisting just the top half but next time I will. Personally I think haul lock happens right through the blank, with the line getting trapped in the edge of the snake rings; it can't just be the tip because that would break.

With regards the torque on the blank it doesn't take very much force to twist the rod tip around 180 degrees - you can test this with your fingers. Ring wear at the tip shows that twisting takes place when we cast regardless of butt alignment. I'm convinced that there has been times with the tip ring twisted into 90 that during the cast actually twists around more than 180 degrees - if the loop is canted to the off-side of the rod that twisting can take place. I'm sure that I have felt the rod significantly untwisting during the stroke and it's a very strange feeling indeed. What I would like to see is the rod tip close up in video; I'm sure we would see twisting in the blank. It should be possible to video this from below.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:26 pm

I always have haul lockup when casting snakes aligned.
The Torzites rings are a real blessing.
Maybe we can try to video it at one of the BFCC meetings James?

Cheers, Bart

Return to “Flycasting”