PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Haul lock and twisting rings

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Michal Duzynski

Re: Haul lock and twisting rings

Post by Michal Duzynski » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:56 pm
What improvement would you be looking for, if nothing is wrong now Mike?

Cheers
Lasse
:D :D good one :D
... talking about ST outfit, so who knows :D

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:53 am

BTW when will we see that stiff/soft clip from you?
Soon mate. I have new rods now and moving back to the lake shortly :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:26 am

This is the opposite of haul lock and a bit tough to describe - has anyone experienced a hauling “sensation” of no resistance thru the hauling stroke?

I seem to get this sensation when hauling straight down or parallel with the rod as opposed to slightly across and to my hip. All guides were aligned when I’ve done this (never had thought to offset them but will try that now) and the line would typically shoot very well.

Maybe it had more to do with proper haul timing and nothing to do with hauling direction.

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:45 pm

nicholasfmoore wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 pm
Hi All,

Just out of interest, which way do people orient their rod rings when they are casting with a 4 piece rod?

Advantages and disadvantages?
All the best

Nick
Hi Nick,
in the worlds we see two groups, those having the rings and the reel in the same plane during casting. I am one of these. We turn the reel and thus the rings off casting plane to the side away of the caster.
Then we have those (Paul is one of them) twisting the upper sections of the rod off reel (and casting) plane sideways.
The effect is the same for both: Less friction between the blank and the line during the forward cast and thus increasing carry/line speed.
For fishing I for sure want my reel to be inline with my rings, which is why I am in the first group mostly!
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:03 pm

For fishing I for sure want my reel to be inline with my rings, which is why I am in the first group mostly!
I fish with the top three sections twisted away from the reel and have done for well over 15 years now - for exactly the same reasons as why I do it in comp casting. It’s never been a problem.

Hi Taylor, I’m not sure! I think I would have to dial in on what are the two resistance levels you are experiencing. It might just be that the “light haul” is what we want and normally expect. That could possibly be the same feeling as a “late haul”.

The other possibility is that a non-aggressive haul continues past RSP and then suddenly becomes very light. When I slow my haul down I feel this happen and I’ve made videos that confirm this to be the case. I remember first seeing it frame by frame about 20 years ago with a Sony cybershot 15fps camera. As soon as the rod passes RSP all the tension in the haul disappears.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:06 am

Thanks for the thoughts Paul! I’ll have to investigate further with some video when I’m back in casting shape.

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:28 am

. I remember first seeing it frame by frame about 20 years ago with a Sony cybershot 15fps camera. As soon as the rod passes RSP all the tension in the haul disappears.

Cheers, Paul
Which makes alot of sense, since the line now travels with the combined haul and tipspeed, and the tip is no longer adding anything as its slowing rapidly down, and neither is the haul, only removing spend line.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

James9118

Post by James9118 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:40 am

Hi Lasse - did you see my question in post #12 - do you get haul lock?

Cheers, James.

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:28 pm

Hi James,
from time to time I get a student coming with a rod-line combination, that for me locks up the haul on mainly the forward cast. It usually is a slow sinking line combined with snakes. Specific coating, that works on water and when having lots of line dressing, but without any of both, trouble.
Other than that I yet have to get haul lock up.
Regards
Bernd
P.s.: On such combos its nearly impossible to haul!
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:54 am

Bernd Ziesche wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:28 pm
a slow sinking line combined with snakes
Yes... but add algae in the water too and you really get a problem!

The only way out that I have found is to stop and clean / treat both the line and the rod.

Rotating the guides only does so much. Sometimes we have to stop more than once each day. The increased algae since the big hurricane has highlighted this problem.
"Technique is the proof of your seriousness"

Wallace Stevens

Return to “Flycasting”