PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve Casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Thomas_E
Answers: 0

Re: Curve Casts

Post by Thomas_E »

Ling’s Cunning curve cast, for me nothing more than a underpowered curve variant.

My version of the Svirgolato.
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Thomas_E wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:28 pm Ling’s Cunning curve cast, for me nothing more than a underpowered curve variant.

My version of the Svirgolato.
Beautiful your! I think that to get any, curved launch, it is important that the tip of the rod travels at least once to the point where the fly must land, what do you think?
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

Interesting question, Ivan. I have to think over. :D
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

The "Twist Cast" is very helpful, because I can cast on the right side and around obstacles.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Bianchetti Ivan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm Beautiful your! I think that to get any, curved launch, it is important that the tip of the rod travels at least once to the point where the fly must land, what do you think?
On Jason B’s inverted V curve cast he also mentioned aiming the fly/rod tip towards the point of aim...
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Boisker wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 pm
Bianchetti Ivan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 pm Beautiful your! I think that to get any, curved launch, it is important that the tip of the rod travels at least once to the point where the fly must land, what do you think?
On Jason B’s inverted V curve cast he also mentioned aiming the fly/rod tip towards the point of aim...
👍Grazie
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Malik wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:54 pm
It's actually a crossing loop where the fly leg goes left then turn right (if you are right-handed). Playing with the power application and the timing of the shoot, you can also obtain a very efficient hook cast to the left.
The trick of the svirgolato is just to "twist the tip" of the rod during the stop and not before or after it. Not really difficult but timing is critical. For those how are familiar with the "pull back", it's exactly the same timing challenge.

Hope it helps.
Thanks Malik. It helps - a lot. Will have a play.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Malik

Post by Malik »

Hi Mark,
Glad it helps. Another trick which can help to feel the cast is to do it sideway, as an overpowered curve cast to the left. Instead of overpowered it, you just twist clockwise or anti-clockwise the wrist on the stop/on the maximum power application in order to twist the tip of the rod during the loop formation. As we know, to put it simple, the fly leg of the loop will follow the path of the rod tip.
Best regards and lot of fun!
Malik
Malik

Post by Malik »

PS for Mark : let me know how it’s going on.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I mainly rely on overpowered curve casts with "vertical" and horizontal rod planes, with the svirgoletto as a party trick. The wind I normally have around here makes the underpowered curves too difficult to practice with any consistency.

The overpowered curves with a vertical rod plane are made by ensuring the tip travels mainly horizontally, so the rod is not actually in a true vertical plane, just close enough to it to satisfy the MCI examiners.

Overpowered curves work in all wind conditions I face, so that's what I practice. I am working on the back hand delivered svirgoletto though. ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting”