PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve Casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: Curve Casts

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Graeme H wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:47 am
The combination of a chord length shortening in the horizontal plane (convex tip path if viewed from above) and a vertical loop plane produces a curved cast from that tail, in my case, towards the right.
Graeme

Thank you!

I kept trying to imagine a horizontal loop plane! It just was not computing!

I commonly use a pendulum cast from a horizontal rod to lessen the splash. I expect a curve can be created from a low rod this way too?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary,

I don’t know if this helps...
182BEC34-C282-485D-90E4-4AE4311A9CED.jpeg
There is a vertical separation between the legs as well of course. In fact, apart from causing the tail, the other challenge is to avoid collisions between the legs of the loop or the line and the rod.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm
There is a vertical separation between the legs as well of course. In fact, apart from causing the tail, the other challenge is to avoid collisions between the legs of the loop or the line and the rod.
Amen!

And things get even more challenging if the fly has some weight like in the salt!

The reason why most of my curves are from a vertical rod plane... but I would love to drop the rod lower to reduce visibility.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Malik

Post by Malik »

Hi Paul
On your drawing 72 you stop the rod in this position | (bird eyes point of view). Try to make your stop with the rod in this / position (bird eyes point of view).
Best regards
Malik
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes that’s an excellent point Malik. The rod position is incorrect in the diagram.

Like you Gary, I thought it was a dry fly only cast, but Malik told me he can turn Clousers around with this cast. He told me this yesterday and I haven’t had a chance to play with this yet. I suppose it depends highly on the weight of the fly compared to the weight of the line.

Normally I would overpower off the opposite shoulder to make the above presentation. But of course this isn’t always possible.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Malik

Post by Malik »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:21 pm Yes that’s an excellent point Malik. The rod position is incorrect in the diagram.

Like you Gary, I thought it was a dry fly only cast, but Malik told me he can turn Clousers around with this cast. He told me this yesterday and I haven’t had a chance to play with this yet. I suppose it depends highly on the weight of the fly compared to the weight of the line.

Normally I would overpower off the opposite shoulder to make the above presentation. But of course this isn’t always possible.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,
Before to try it with a closer I highly recommend to practice with some fluff :D
But yes, it works with more heavy flies too !
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D yes that’s good advice!

Flycasting Definitions
Malik

Post by Malik »

Hi,
I don't have a lot of time right now, but searching in my Hudl collection, I found some videos that might help. I'll shoot new ones, more didactic, in a few months.
Here, a video of Jean-Pierre, a colleague and friend instructor, practicing a "standard" twist cast. Front view.

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/vie ... e=20869198
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Malik wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:42 am Hi,
I don't have a lot of time right now, but searching in my Hudl collection, I found some videos that might help. I'll shoot new ones, more didactic, in a few months.
Here, a video of Jean-Pierre, a colleague and friend instructor, practicing a "standard" twist cast. Front view.

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/vie ... e=20869198
That’s really helpful Mailik.... :)
it’s quite a subtle movement at the stop

Return to “Flycasting”