PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Improve the pick up

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

BobHarry76

Improve the pick up

Post by BobHarry76 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:59 pm

Trying to fine tune the pick up & lay down.
The higher I try to through the pickup, the more open the loop. I’m creating a reasonable loop if I stop a bit further back, but am looking for tips to create a firm stop on the back cast and throw it up. Have tried the clockwise twist of the wrist. Just can’t get it. Looking for a thought or move to concentrate on to fine tune it.
Attachments
2767DB58-0D3F-4485-894A-E9EBE21B141F.png

BobHarry76

Re: Improve the pick up

Post by BobHarry76 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:03 pm

This was the lay down from that pickup. It’s tailing a bit. Casting into a 30+mph wind.
Attachments
493ED39C-3AB0-4201-B210-3B83A451794B.jpeg

BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:11 pm

Also throwing some of these. I assumed this was tailing, but looking at a previous thread, this may be trailing, rather than tailing?
Attachments
75DBD45F-28FC-4163-AE06-DC310848C4BA.jpeg

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:22 am

G'day BobHarry,

One of the important things to remember about the pickup is that the lifting of line is SLOW! You're not trying to rip line off the water, but lift it slowly while you get the rod in position to make that back cast. If you're slow and steady enough, the line will be mostly off the water with only the leader in it as you begin that casting stroke.

The "lift" is not just getting line off the water, but it is positioning the rod in readiness for the actual back cast. This latter is often overlooked, but it's a vital part of the thought process for an effective pickup. It's often a short cast, so you're looking for a small casting arc. Lifting the rod gets it in position to produce that small casting arc and also puts the line outside the tip in alignment with the expected tip path.

Once it's all aligned with little line in the water, that back cast is feather light. Begin the cast with more translation than you look like you're doing now. Lift the rod with a slightly outstretched arm and with your weight forward, rocking back and pulling the whole rod back as you initiate the actual cast.

It may also help to aim that back cast a bit higher than you are currently doing, but that can only happen if the line in the water is minimised. Paul recommends aiming as if you're going straight up, and that's a good way to get you in the right area.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:22 am

Welcome to the Board, Rob! :cool:

Is this a pickup from water? I really like a way that Peter Hayes teaches the pickup, which is to watch the mini waterfall that appears as the line is lifted all the way to the fly. This gives the pickup the perfect speed.

Then I think that the entire backcast should just be a “squeeze-stop.”

When I’ve been teaching CIs to make tight loops on the first backcast, particularly over grass, but it also applies to water, I ask them to try to throw a tailing loop on the backcast. Generally this abrupt force application that we often use to demonstrate tails on the forward cast just throws tighter and faster loops on the pickup backcast. To turn that into a decent first backcast we just remove some of the force. (It is possible to throw a tail on the pickup backcast but it’s actually very difficult :D).

So those would be my first tips. Watch the line peel off the water carefully. Just make a squeeze-stop. Try emphasising the squeeze to create a tail.

Then I would be looking to make sure everything is straight. I imagine I’m casting next to a wall (that’s a Steve Rajeff tip) - bring the rod up vertically and throw the loop straight over the tip. I often practise with a target. Lift straight back from the target, imagine there is a target in the air behind me (a bell), ring the bell and focus on sending the forward loop through a tunnel back to the front target.

I hope that helps :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:46 am

Thanks Paul.
Yep, practicing on grass at the moment. 30’ PUALD.
Will try those out. Thanks. 👍🏻

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:58 am

I thought so. In which case you really need to lift like you were on water, and then try shocking the rod on the backcast to set a tight loop.This is not the backcast you want to end up with, but what it does teach is how narrow the casting stroke can be. Most people I watch think that they need to swing the hand through an arc on the backcast, which generally opens the loop and lowers the trajectory. Try just squeezing the hand into a stop.

(I know that you are training as an instructor here, so I'm focussed on that - I would not be describing it in this way if you weren't and would have just left it the way Graeme described! :D )

I can't remember what I talked about in this video but if you haven't found these yet then hopefully they can be useful for you https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/pick-up-and-lay-down/ (However this video is obviously much more focussed on teaching the cast to a beginner).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:36 am

(It could be useful), remember that the rod is pulling the line, do not think about throwing, think of pulling, while pulling the line you will see that it puts itself under tension, when it is straight, pull faster, then let it pass on the tip of the rod , do not use the wrist for this but the arm, the wrist only to let the line pass, (with this I do not mean that the wrist is not needed, I mean to divide things)

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:55 am

Incidentally from your photos, Bob;

1. It's hard to tell but I suspect that your backcast is not straight, but aimed slightly off shoulder, ie a tracking error. This is very common.
2. Definitely appears that it's going to tail!
3. Yes that's "trailing" or a closed loop. It's obvious from that photo that you are not throwing directly over the tip of the rod.

This is an extremely short carry because of the constraints of video, particularly for mobile devices which was for what the video was originally intended, but even with a longer line length this is how I would like for the loop to look...
backcast.jpg
As I just mentioned in another discussion, its good practise to start with a short length of line, and gradually build up your pickup from there.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks guys. This is my first post on here.
I’m amazed at how quick and helpful everyone is.
Just the start for me, hopefully I can get enough practice and get to where I need to be.
Appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to “Flycasting”